1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI Sportsman of the Year ≠ Tiger Woods

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

And without a DUI... Oh wait... :D

I think the Cubs winning the series might be the only thing to keep this from being a done deal. Even then, it should still go to Phelps...

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Tough luck for swimmers.

Hard to get those shoe endorsements.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

This is awarded at the beginning of December, right?

Baseball is the only one that could take out Phelps and that would mean the Cubs winning the Series. Even then, I think Phelps gets the nod. Who is going to hit .400? Josh Hamilton could do it with a triple crown or a WS MVP. But is that really going to happen?

What if a golfer shoots a couple 50-something rounds? Still not good enough.

Tennis? Nope

Most of the other sports would have their seasons ongoing when the award is given out.

4. Mizzougrad96

If they gave it right now, I'm assuming Tiger and Nadal would be a very distant second and third.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I'm gonna say Phelps?

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

"According to The Wall Street Journal on Monday, Phelps' worth to Nike could be $40 million." -- ESPN.com article

Good thing few sneaker companies sell only shoes.

7. Mizzougrad96

Way to go out on a limb... :D

8. 93Devil

I would like to see Hamilton ahead of those two.

In this age of drug abuse, I like his story a lot more than those other two. Tiger's already won it twice.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

The only other athletes I can think of that have made similar headlines this year are:

Brett Favre, Tigers Woods, Eli Manning, Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett.

I think Woods and Phelps top that list. But I also think they should give it to Stephon Curry.

10. Mizzougrad96

I can see him getting the Wheaties Box and the huge contracts with swimsuit companies and the obvious stuff. The money they're talking is huge. I know he's a bigger star around the world than he is in the US, but his star could be very faded by this time next year.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Even if you're right, it won't matter. He'll have already signed multi-year endorsement contracts that I'm sure will carry him at least to the next Olympics. Suddenly, his star will shine a bit brighter again.

And don't forget everyone's reaction when Nike threw a vault at Tiger Woods. Nike wasn't even in the golf business at the time. I don't think Phelps can do for swimming what Tiger did for golf, but I do think he can survive playing a niche sport to rake in millions.

Shit, if he's already making $5 mil a year ...

12. 93Devil

Let's just hope he does not have Vick's financial people.

Draft saved Draft deleted