1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI redesign

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by I Digress, Apr 22, 2009.

1. ringer

ringer Active Member

Doesn't the half page headlines and enormous pull-quotes bother anyone?
    It's like reading a billboard. For my money, I'd rather have another feature.

As for the Vault piece saving money... at last check, SI had about a dozen writers on the masthead on salary. How does the re-printing Vault stories save money? It saves effort. It spares the staffers from doing the work they're being paid to do.

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Perfect timing for a terrible redesign -- my subscription runs out next month.

3. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

It's quite a bit more than a dozen. The most recent masthead I could find listed 28 senior writers at SI, although that included Dr. Z, who's been almost exclusively website for quite a while, and (ha ha) Dan Patrick.

I don't have any problem with re-running excerpts from the Vault, though. One of the unique things SI has to offer is its history. People love to wax nostalgic about great articles from the past, so why not give them a little taste of it each week? You don't want to go overboard with it, obviously, but it's not a bad idea to give people something they like and can't get anywhere else.

4. frogscribe

frogscribe Member

Guess not, 'Root.
    GMTY

5. Saint Lou

Saint Lou Member

SI's redesign makes me think of what The Sporting News used to look like a few years ago.

6. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Read the story from "The Vault" just now -- is that really the best selection they could come up with? A scene-setter from an Eastern final in a year in which the East champ didn't even win the league? What's next week -- an awkward cross-section from a preview of one of the NHL's greatest non-clinching second-round games?

And the SI.com tout could be a half-page so easy -- thumbnails of pretty photos that weren't good enough to get the two-page Vault lead-in treatment?

Boo ...

7. jps

jps Active Member

my years-long subscription will be allowed to expire.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Not a fan of the redesign. Hard to read. And there was nothing wrong with what they had.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Not meaning to drag this up from the dead, but I didn't want to start another SI thread ... but did anyone notice in last week's SI blurb about Alabama-Huntsville hockey that it mentioned that NCAA champion Bemidji State was leaving UAH's conference? Boston U. won that title, right? And I hardly follow college hockey. That's an inexcuseable mistake.

10. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

So was the the one in Scorecard a couple weeks ago about "no pubic financing" being used for a new football stadium in L.A. Yow. And it still reads that way on the Net version. Double yow.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/jon_wertheim/10/22/nfl.la/index.html

Draft saved Draft deleted