1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI is down to just 38 issues this year

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 16, 2017.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Good memory. Meredith has made a couple of offers over the last 5 years or so, but nothing ever got done. Last year, Time reportedly rejected an off from another group of investors that included Edgar Bronfman, and Meredith approached them afterward to see if they could come up with a better deal. Nothing happened.

I have no idea if Meredith is going to regret this. The $3 billion + of debt Meredith is taking on to make this work is a boat load of money. That kind of heavy debt financing often ends badly, but with the cost of financing so artificially low right now, even on risky deals, this is the type of thing you get. The plan is to merge into a behemoth that can take away some of the digital advertising Facebook and Google are controlling. What makes it really curious, is that it was only 3 years ago that Time was spun off from Time Warner because the ad sales model was falling apart quickly. Now, they are reversing course.

5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

In other news about SI that is probably related to their financial problems I bought an on-line subscription for 10 bucks a year on my Kindle this weekend.

flexmaster33 likes this.
  6. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

With bulk rate shipping, they should break even.

7. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Simple economics really. College is too much trouble to cover compared to pros for an audience that isn't a thimble of what the NFL, NBA and MLB offer.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I wonder how much Meredith cares about the big weekly magazines like SI, People and Time. Time Inc.; is profitable but I don't know if the profits come from those titles or from the other 74 titles listed in the website. Meredith would seem to have more expertise with the smaller, more focused titles. I wonder, for example, if Time and SI are still profitable. If SI is cutting editions that is a really good sign they are losing money. Meredith will also not have the emotional attachment to cutting lose with of the iconic weeklies. I would think selling SI and Time to a television network like Fox or CBS would make sense because strengthen the the network websites and help defray some of the costs of news gathering.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

On a GAAP basis, Time Inc. hasn't been profitable for 2 or 3 years, and advertising overall for the print magazines has been declining quickly. It has been growing its non-print advertising, though, as it tries to hang in there. That is what this deal is about. Meredith wants size and scale. It could be as simple as trying to cut costs by getting rid of duplication, and then trying to integrate everything into enough eyeballs to take on Google and Facebook for some of the online ad revenue pie. Who knows if they'll be successful? As far as the print pieces go, the last time around that Meredith tied to buy Time Inc., it didn't even want Time, Fortune, Money or SI included in the deal. It wouldn't be surprising if Meredith shuts down Time all together; there are rumors already. Fortune and Money might be on the chopping block, too. They all lose money. In Style and Real Simple, on the other hand, could fit in with the publications Meredith already does in terms of marketing them. But really, as difficult as it is to hear (and say), the print pieces are largely dead weight. I am sure they are thinking digitally.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Perhaps the last person on earth who thinks about Time magazine at all is Donald Trump.

11. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

The magazine heyday of the 70s and 80s was terrific. I'd love to go back to that. Sign me up for a subscription to Life while we're turning back the clock.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Colin Kaepernick wins Muhammad Ali Legacy Award

I'm sure the ad department is thrilled with this choice. My guess is we'll hear about at least three, maybe five, advertisers dropping their buys by the end of Friday. Or to avoid getting into this at all - simply asking to not be included in the particular issue.

Draft saved Draft deleted