1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI does Sporting News COVER (not story) 11 years later

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jun 18, 2007.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

This week's SI cover story mirrors that of a Sporting News cover story done on 6/24/1996 about the Cleveland Indians influx of Latin-American players helping them to the top of the baseball heap. Here's the beginning of the SN story. Unfortunately I can't find a pic of the cover online, but I remember it as being almost the exact same as the current SI cover:

Los lideres. (Latin players on the Cleveland Indians)(Cover Story)
    From: The Sporting News | Date: 6/24/1996 | Author: Winegardner, Mark
    Print Digg del.icio.us
    The Cleveland Indians have become one of the elite teams in Major League Baseball thanks to a talented nucleus of Latin-American players. Prior to the Indians' success, there had been an unwritten rule among baseball executives that too many Latin players on one team would impede success.

The Indians had a news conference scheduled for March 23, 1993, and it was supposed to be a happy time. It was supposed to feature Carlos Baerga. It was supposed to be a watershed moment in franchise history, one in which people used words like "family" and "commitment," a moment that would set the tone for the franchise into the next century.

There was a news conference that day. It featured Baerga. It was a watershed moment in franchise history. Words like "family" and "commitment" were used, and the tone was set for the franchise into the next century. But the news conference wasn't about what it was supposed to be about, and it sure as hell wasn't a happy time.

The night before, a speedboat had slammed into a pier on a tiny Florida lake, killing Indians pitchers Steve Olin and Tim Crews and seriously injuring pitcher Bob Ojeda. It was Carlos Baerga, 24, who was chosen by his teammates to step forward as spokesman, in his second language, his eyes puffy, his then-unconvincing mustache twitching as he tried to control his sorrow to face the world.

The Indians, less than two years removed from being baseball's worst team, were also two years away from being its best. It was as dark a moment as anyone could have feared before as brilliant a dawn as anyone might have dared dream.

And the man at the microphone was an accountant's son from Levittown, Puerto Rico, a middle-class San Juan neighborhood of hastily built but sturdy homes, a neighborhood salted with playgrounds and ballparks. It was like growing up in America in the 1950s, with Dad at work, Mom at home and dawn-to-dusk pickup games on every diamond. That Baerga, a brown-skinned, Spanish-speaking, grown-up all-American boy, was the man chosen to be his team's lider - its leader - at its darkest hour was a defining moment in the embryonic dynasty that is the Indians.

Was that when it happened? Was that when the Indians were destined to become one of the few Latin-led clubs in major league history to put to rest ugly whispers that teams with too many Latin players can't draw fans, can't play as a team, can't win?

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-18417492.html

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Re: SI does Sporting News story 11 years later

Is this out-and-out plagiarism or just the same topic done over? I don't subscribe to SI and can't read the article, so I'm just asking.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

This may be the first time in sports history that a story has been written on the same type of subject matter of a story written before.

4. TheSportsPredictor

Not saying it's plagiarism. Haven't even read the SI article. I just find it humorous that SI is presenting Omar Minaya as some genius by bringing a bunch of Latin-American players to the Mets when the Indians did it 11 years ago -- and TSN played it with pretty much the exact same cover.

5. NX

NX Member

The story isn't so much about the Mets bringing in a bunch of Latin-American players as it is Gary Smith's profile of Omar Minaya.

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

If you read the Gary Smith story, you'd find you were very, very wrong about what the story is about.

7. TheSportsPredictor

Good! I guess it doesn't match up to how SI bills it on the cover.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Did you read the SI story? It hardly presents Minaya as a genius for bringing in latin players. I haven't quite finished it yet (it's pretty damn long), but what I've read of it it seems to be an examination of how his upbringing in what is considered the most ethnically diverse county in the country has affected his willingness to bring in players of all backgrounds to form one of the best teams in baseball.

At a simplistic level, I suppose the subject is somewhat similar, but they're very different stories. Saying they're the same thing -- or worse hinting SI is copying the SN article -- is kind of like watching "The Pursuit of Happyness" and saying it was done before when it was called "Trading Places." Sure, both involve the rise of a homeless black man, but they're not so similar that you feel like it's the same story.

EDIT: Just noticed where you said you didn't read it. Which makes me wonder why you would start a thread bashing it in the first place.

9. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

10. NX

NX Member

As someone sarcastically opined on another thread, perhaps the Mets are scared to be on the cover alone.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

12. TheSportsPredictor

Fixed the headline!

Draft saved Draft deleted