1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI cover

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Max Mercy, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Maybe the verb "Sucks" is on page 2 or something.

2. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Andre Laguerre would barely recognize his baby these days. The SI we revere, Laguerre created (with Henry Luce's money) and turned into a profit machine with journalism of the highest order. Today, the profit is there. It all started to go downhill when technology allowed every page to have color. The color was then mandated to be on every page, copy aside, and the "Illustrated" portion took over at the expense of the story. All that has followed is the unfortunately inevitable progression.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

"Booley"

4. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Even though I am a huge OHIO STATE fan that cover sucked big time plus the headline, come on some one is not doing their job over at SI.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Is that the hybrid of Bruce Hooley?

6. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

I don't know -- in the '80s (and perhaps earlier) they used to routinely have an October issue with the stirring headline "The World Series," and a photo cutline. That's it. Not sure that's any less original than the Ohio State cover.

7. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i agree that this cover writing is nothing new. i remember a five or six years ago a cover that said "Whoa!" with the subhed something like 'the giants beat the 49ers in a showdown of the NFL's heavyweights" or something. that's what i'd expect from the AP not SI.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

To be fair, "state" actually can be a verb.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Not picking nits, you're on the money here. It's like they thought a minimalist approach would be artsy here, but it didn't work for me.

10. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Given the importance of the victory, "Ohio Statement" would have worked.

11. leo1

leo1 Active Member

that seems fine for a daily in ohio or texas but not for SI.

12. Joe Bloggs

Joe Bloggs Member

Yeah, "Ohio Statement" doesn't do much for me, either.

Personally, i think this thread is much ado about nothing. I didn't think there was anything wrong with just "Ohio State" ... The Buckeyes won what will probably be the biggest matchup of the season, except for the national championship game. What more do you need??

Draft saved Draft deleted