1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI.com's "Things We Miss in Baseball."

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Here's another one: scheduled doubleheaders.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Millions of fans would drop dead from shock.

Nice to see Big Klu on the list. I met him at Spring Training as a kid, a thrill after hearing so many stories from my Cincinnati family. He still had the big guns in his 60s.

3. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Some of the more curious entries:

10. Youppi! -- Really? I'm surprised anything from the Expos makes the list, much less a furry mascot.
    11. Fans Running Out Onto The Field (after a team clinches a title) -- Um, not in this day and age, or has someone forgotten the Ligues, Jr. and Sr.
    21. Bullpens Not in Foul Territory -- Not in my book. Keep them away from the field.
    24. Unbalanced Schedules -- And when we had unbalanced schedules, people were bitching that division rivals didn't play enough.
    25. Bullpen Carts -- I never understood the charm of these. Like the pitcher couldn't get from the bullpen to the mound under his own power?

Also

6. Listening to Baseball On The Radio -- "Once upon a time, before Sirius and XM and MLB.com." I kind of get his point about the romanticism of finding a game broadcast from a faraway signal surrounded by static, but the author is aware that Sirius/XM and MLB.com allow you to listen to any game you want, with the local announcers, right?

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Tiger Stadium porch. So awesome.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Roy Halladay too.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Monuments in play in center field at the old Yankee Stadium.

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Day playoff games.

4 man pitching rotations.

8. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

One I did like was the one on leaving the old Yankee Stadium through the outfield. I consider myself pretty knowledgeable on baseball history, but I never knew you could do that back then. You learn something new every day.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

26. Morganna

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I always liked it when a reliever would come out in a car or cart - the Royals always had a great car, Yankees too, and a batboy would have to run out from the dug out to get his satin jacket, the pitcher couldn't just give it to the coach or manager.
    Hell, those really shiny Starter Jackets were cool.
    [​IMG]

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I was a guest bat boy for a Braves game as a kid, and the only thing I did of any consequence was run from the dugout to the bullpen to get Steve Bedrosian's satin jacket.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

That was you?
    On a serious note, I miss having COLD beer at the game.

Draft saved Draft deleted