1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI.com: Troy Glaus -- Roids

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Sep 7, 2007.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Other than loose talk that Jason Grimsley threw Clemens' name around, there has been nothing overt linking Clemens to steroids or HGH, the way there is with Ankiel or Glaus. The allegations "disappeared" because you actually need something compelling that suggests the player used for things to stick. In the case of Ankiel and Glaus, it is a big Federal investigation that has already sent people to prison and has produced records of drugs being shipped to some well-known addresses (including Glaus and Ankiel) after being prescribed by doctors who have had their licenses taken away for handing out bogus prescriptions. That is compelling. It is news.

Find something equally compelling suggesting Clemens' use (it probably exists somewhere; or maybe he wasn't as careless). But this is what journalists do. They don't toss allegations. They write the stories based on actual information and present the evidence in their stories.

It's lovely how you have the people on this board who claim "witch hunt" whenever a player is legitimately linked to drug use, and then you have others, like you seemingly just did, who are suggesting there isn't enough of a "witch hunt" because the allegations against Clemens "disappeared." (despite there being no damning evidence).

The news business isn't that hard to figure out. Clemens is a Hall of Famer. He has seven Cy Young Awards. He has remained a power pitcher through an age that defies reason and has accumulated more wins than any pitcher working out of a five-man rotation for his entire career is likely to ever achieve again. He is second on the all-time strike out list. If there was ANY WAY POSSIBLE to nail the guy on drug allegations, there are dozens of reporters tripping all over themselves to get that story. He's not getting a free pass. It's why Bonds is such big news. The great player (in Bonds case, the guy breaking the most well-known record in sports) wrapped up in the scandal--for which there is actual evidence--is the player who gets the attention. Clemens is such a player.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

First, neither Ankiel nor Glaus was or is chasing the most recognizable sports record there is.
    Second, re Clemens/Bonds ... Bonds name was virtually everywhere the feds looked in the BALCO investigation. The only place I recall Clemens' name being connected to this was rolling off Grimsley's lips. Granted, my recall may not be perfect, but the link between Clemens and steroids, if indeed there is one, is tenuous at best. If one comes out, well, few in our industry will be surprised.

Re steroids: Isn't the recovery aspect what makes them effective? As in, I recover from a workout faster, so I can work out sooner, so I can work out more, so I build muscle mass ... They do have legitimate purposes, and many of those target ailments associated with aging, which is why many of these drugs are acquired by guys in their 30s from clinics that serve patients in their 60s and 70s.

3. boots

boots New Member

What a guy did in the past, does it truly have relevance in what he's doing today?

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yes. Everytime I see you post on here, I recall old, nasty, illogical posts of yours, and threads started by you in which you made up stuff, and it colors how I perceive you today.

5. boots

boots New Member

You have big issues my friend. This is about Troy Glaus. Not how I feel about you or how you feel about me. If you have a personal beef with me, and obviously you do, you could PM that stuff.
    No one has made up any thread here. You can believe it or not. In the end, in the real scheme of things, is it worth it to matter over a thread?
    As I said before, you're supposed to be a moderator and not an instigator. If you can explain why your last post wasn't a shot directed toward me and was on the topic at hand, I'd appreciate it. Somehow, I don't think you can do that.

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Again, if you want better responses, make better posts. This question is so general as to constitute nonsense.

What guy? What past? Glaus? You?

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sorry... Mike Piazza and Bone in the same sentence just makes me go where I shouldn't...

8. boots

boots New Member

What are you doing guy? Do you want to get every thread locked? Enough is enough. The thread is about Glaus not your acting like a beast of burden.

9. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Its just said when people who are in charge here act like four year olds and have nothing better to do then rip one poster. Maybe, just maybe you guys could stay on topic but I know that is asking a lot from people with such a small IQ.

Troy Glaus is in the same boat as Rodney Harrison, he was trying to recover his career, not break Hall of Fame records of outstanding individuals with no regard for what these players had to endure.

10. boots

boots New Member

That's what essentially happens in many groin injuries.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

So, trying to recover from injury and getting back onto the field using performance enhancers is okay as long as an athlete is not trying to break records?

You're getting dumber by the nanosecond.

12. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Post better.

Draft saved Draft deleted