1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI.com redesign

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by boundforboston, Jul 2, 2014.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

What are your thoughts on SI's new website redesign?

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

It's absolutely terrible.

3. TopSpin

TopSpin Member

It's fine if staying above the fold. The brutal headache from graphic overload begins once you scroll down.

4. JPsT

JPsT Member

I don't like it but liked it better than some other recent redesigns.

Didn't have much of a chance to poke around, but I used to gravitate toward the "Writers" section under the carousel and couldn't find anything similar. Hope it'll present itself next time I look.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I dislike the 120, mainly because I like being able to scroll down in a story and find the information I seek. Sitting through a 60 second video (preceded by a 20 second commercial) and maybe getting the info, maybe not makes me hesitate to click on talking head videos no matter the website. ESPN.com is absolutely brutal with this, promoting a headline about a game's results and only delivering people talking about the result with no highlights.

As for SI.com specifically, I know I can move on once they drop in their first bikini shot.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

There's a "MENU" button in the top left, with a tab therein to the writers, plus various sports and sub-sites like MMQB.

But these types of redesigns take big gambles that people will work to figure that out.

7. partain

partain Member

Looks like my wife's Pinterest page, which makes my head hurt. Saw the redesign, clicked off the page and haven't been back since.

8. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Looks like what the LA Times just did with its redesign. The never-ending flow as you scroll down the page.

9. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

give me tabs across the top that allow me to search by sport...I don't want to have to wash through a million photos to find something worth reading (and no, I don't mean your latest top-5 list).

10. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Also there's plenty of old stuff on the bottom half, stuff that's been up for 3-4-5 days just to fill up the endless scroll I guess.

11. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of the lack of obvious section navigation, but other than that, it's fine. Yes, below the fold could be more reader-friendly, but 75 percent or so of readers don't scroll, anyway. Seems like it's trying to follow the Gannett template of being a visual news site. I'd be interested to know if it's an in-house CMS.

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Right there with USA Today now, IMO, for unpleasantness and generally being too "busy." Seems to be pestering me to do "anything" but read what I want to read.

Draft saved Draft deleted