1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI.com declares that Weis is done

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by tapintoamerica, Nov 23, 2008.

1. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

I see exactly what your saying Waylon, but a few bafoons have won national titles. Lou Holtz comes to mind. He plays up that danggummit apraoch more than anyone. He did alright. Not saying the Zooker is coming into rescue the ship, just want a guy with his passion and who is uncomplicated.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Yeah . . . three steps ahead of the ethics committee, at every stop, it appeared . . .

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Zook is a buffoon. He's a buffoon who can recruit, but he is a buffoon.

4. Lou Holtz is a lot of things. A buffoon is not one of them. Don't buy the act. He was/is a tyrant. And he could also coach like a motherfucker.

Also, Notre Dame hates Ron Zook. They think he's a cheater.

5. Mizzougrad96

He is a cheater. I'd still rather have him than Weis right now.

6. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

Waylon, I meant that Lou plays up that "I'm dumb, dogggonit, aw schucks," routine and then blasts you on Saturday's. That's all. And yes he broke the rules. If you think that matters one bit to ND it doesn't. Don't know too many other football coaches with lifetime contracts. Lou's got one. But you can be a bafoon and win if you assemble the talent. Mike Ditka has to agree with that statement. Not that I am putting him in Zookers bafoon league.

7. It matters to Notre Dame that he breaks rules. It particularly matters that they think he broke rules while beating Notre Dame out of players. There is a lot of animosity there. Plus, after Kim Dunbar, no way Notre Dame takes the chance.

And I'm not talking about being a buffoon in front of the cameras. Whatever. Holtz played that game, obviously. I'm talking about not knowing his ass from his elbow when it comes to coaching football. That's Zook.

Notre Dame already has somebody who can recruit but can't coach. You want them to replace Weis with Weis II?

Hiring Zook, or anybody like him, makes no sense. None.

Again, recruiting is not the problem.

8. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

How has it been proven that Weiss can recruit? Because ESPN and Rivals put his classes in the top 10? I don't put any stock in those ranks whatsoever. Who on that team plays lie a top 50 recruit? Jimmy Clausen doesn't even know how to check down when he can't find his No. 1 receiver. Or properly throw the ball away when he can't find anyone. He doesn't look like a the best get in the nation to me.

Ask any ND alum if they would give back a title to take away the Dunbar debacle. See what kind of answers you get.

Just stop. You're going in circles.

9. Um ... isn't that coaching?

What makes you think Zook is such a cracker jack recruiter? His 5-7 record this season?

10. Mizzougrad96

He recruited about 90 percent of the players who took Florida to the title a couple years back.

11. OK. But that kind of proves my point. That if you recruit well, but can't coach, what's the difference?

12. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

I've been to three ND games since Clausen has been there. Every time he throws the ball into coverage Ron Powlus and Charlie Wiess have been in his ear. How many times can you tell a kid not to make that throw? He repeats these things because he's not good. Now I'm not saying he couldn't have better coaching, but Micahel Floyd and Golden Tate are great talents, but Jimmy Clausen picks a reciever before the play even starts. Elite QBs no matter how poorly they are coached have to know how to look for the open man. That's the entire concept of being a quarterback!

And it seems to me that Zook can coach at least a smidge. He won 8 games at Florida twice. He took Illinois from 2-9 to Pasadena in three seasons. And did it after following a bad college coach in Ron Turner. That's fairly decent. But it remains to be seen.

Darnit Waylon, you have me defending Ron Zook.

Draft saved Draft deleted