1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI.com declares that Weis is done

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by tapintoamerica, Nov 23, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The losses at home are what is killing Weis. I think they're only a few games over .500 in front of the home folks. I'm not sure what the answer is - Brady Hoke would be an obvious choice, the school has not, and will not, ever be a player for a coach from a top program.
    Even when they hired Lou Holtz, the last coach who had coached a team to a top 10 ranking before taking the ND job, he was four years removed from coaching Arkansas to a no. 8 ranking and was coming off a two year stint at Minnesota where he went 10-12. So who was a "hot coach" four years ago? Odds are ND can't pay them that much more than they're making now to make it worthwhile.
    I think he'll be back, unless ND offers him a really nice buyout.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

And every post attributed to Jesus Christ, Charlie Brown or George Bush on this site really does belong to those three.

3. Roger_Clemens

Roger_Clemens New Member

I speaks for myself.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

That's fucking disgusting because he will end up getting buyout sex. [/crossthread]

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I bet you misremember most the things you post.

6. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

fannation is yet another example of a print publication squandering its brand. Garbage, reader-generated "content".

7. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

i don't really care, but it's not "signed" si.com. it's a credit line at the bottom of the blog entry. when the source of the blog item is the ny times, the credit line or acknowledgment reads the new york times. when it's an SI staff item, the credit line reads SI.com. also, SI staffer stewart mandel wrote the blog item about weis.
    http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/the_sweep/posts/25982

there are plenty of SI staffers who contribute to fannation.com. it's not all reader-generated.

8. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

The story offers nothing conclusive about Weis's job status, only more potshots and speculation which any clown can write up.

So what if it's signed si.com? It's meaningless.

9. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

Nothing has been good enough. They haven't won a bowl since Claussen was in diapers.

10. I don't understand why a legitimate thread on the journalism board has to be peppered with inane comments about Weis's coaching ability or other coaches or other jobs or what have you.

Maybe I just don't understand this message board, but isn't this a place to discuss the question of whether this is responsible reporting? It's a fair question --by throwing this in a blog-type setting and bypassing the actual reporting with strong speculation, does this go over the edge of responsible journalism?

I say no, because the piece never quite says Weis is done or Weis will be fired. Comes close, but it reads to me like speculation and not news.

Hell, who knows, maybe I'm wrong. But I do know that I hate coming on a journalism thread time after time, only to read idiotic fan comments. Maybe there should be a thread for sports and news on here?

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

So who exactly at si.com is reporting this? I can't find it anywhere on si.com

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Stewart Mandel is only a reader of SI, not a staff writer? I had no idea. I bet he didn't either.

Wow, a columnist/writer for SI.com declares a coach is done and everyone is screaming about the sky falling. Oh the humanity. God forbid someone from SI.com write a column. How dare they. I'll cancel my subscription right now.

Draft saved Draft deleted