1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI/CBS Report on College Football and Crime

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Mar 3, 2011.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

OK, so of Pitt's 22 arrests or Boise State's 18 arrests - please tell me how many fit into the category of real crimes?

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Schools are also admitting kids who go on to deal drugs, kill and rape other students.

If you're going to background check athletes you sure as shit better check everybody else.

3. Armchair_QB

The part of America that loves football has.

It's the part that hates it that is pissed about it.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think there is a difference between a school giving a full-ride to someone as opposed to someone paying their own way. In one case the school is making an effort to bring someone on campus. Do athletes have higher or lower crime rates than other students? I don't know - I just know that with the exception of the service academies where all the students are effectively on scholarship - schools aren't going out of their way to get most of the students to attend.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

So.....2,837 players and 204 have criminal records?

College presidents, ADs, and coaches should be THRILLED. Pretty sure the over/under was at least 794.5.

6. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Agreed. That seems to be an awfully low number compared to the rest of the student population. Cripes, how many kids are arrested every semester on Drunk and Disorderly, DUI, Drug selling/possession, ect?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

But SI/CBS threw all that time and money into the project, they had to do whatever it took to make the final numbers seen ASTONISHING (in a negative way).

They knew what they wanted to write about. They just wanted the numbers to prove it. When they didn't get the numbers they wanted, ah, fuck it, we'll slant it the way we wanted anyway.

Yay journalism!

8. Crash

Crash Active Member

That was my initial thought. Seven percent is probably lower than the average student body population at most of these schools, or at least no higher. Take, for instance, my alma mater, which had roughly 25,000 students. At 7 percent, you're looking at about 1,750 having been arrested/cited at some point in time. Not that hard to fathom.

Edit: Shoddy math.

9. Armchair_QB

Except, of course, university leaders are constantly touting the fact they do everything they can to see that they keep their student body safe. If they really mean what they say, they'd background check everybody they accept.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

They should have studied lacrosse instead.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I wonder if Pat Tillman would have made this list since he had a record prior to entering ASU.

12. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Sounds like the leadership at my shop.

Draft saved Draft deleted