1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI/CBS Report on College Football and Crime

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I agree the misdemeanor stuff should be overlooked.

2. When will America just accept that it loves football enough to look the other way?

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The pretenders, however you define them, applied to go to college, solely for a college degree. They met the admissions criteria of those universities.

I agree it's tough to tell at 18 if a kid will stay on course. But take the majority of football and basketball players and apply them to the schools they go to without the football and basketball and they come way short of meeting the admissions criteria. That is the sham.

If the goal is student-athlete, why are they just taking the good athletes and hoping they can become students, and not taking good students and hoping they can become athletes?

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Because 80,000 people don't pay $100 each to see someone do a chemistry problem, that's why.

And more importantly, for many kids, athletics are their opportunity to go to colleges they'd have no prayer of going to without athletics.

Smart kids can go to any school they want.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That's fine. College football and basketball are huge revenue.

It's still pretend.

The vast majority did not gain admission as "student-athletes." They are athletes brought there to bring make the university money.

The ONLY reason any of those universities care about this is that they don't want the bad PR when a kid gets arrested under their watch. If a recruit is a star linebacker, though, they'll take their chances.

People can talk circles around it any way they like.

It still is what it is.

6. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Bill Cervone.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Add me as one who'd have liked SI to break down the total arrests by misdemeanor/felony. Lumping an arrest for failure to pay parking tickets in with sexual assault is too wide of a net.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

As we await the HBO/Real Sports report on college football . . . centered, I'll wager, around the great state of Alabama . . .

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I figure those schools outside of the top 25, the non-BCS schools, might have an even higher rate in that they have to take chances on players bigger schools won't. But I think the main point that should be considered is that schools are providing scholarships to people with criminal backgrounds, some with serious crimes, to comingle with people who expect their kid's college to look after Junior or Missy.
    I also suppose that most of these schools may not do background checks on kids, but pretty much know the story on them.

10. JackS

JackS Member

It's clear that people asking for a breakdown of the crimes or claiming that "They conveniently forget that a prospects juvenile records won't show up on a background check if a state has a law protecting that" haven't even read the report...

• Of the 277 incidents uncovered, nearly 40 percent involved serious offenses, including 56 violent crimes such as assault and battery (25 cases), domestic violence (6), aggravated assault (4), robbery (4) and sex offenses (3). In addition there were 41 charges for property crimes, including burglary and theft and larceny.

• There were more than 105 drug and alcohol offenses, including DUI, drug possession and intent to distribute cocaine.

...Nor did SI and CBS News have access to juvenile arrest records for roughly 80 percent of the players in the study.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It does kind of make you wonder every time there is a protest when some college books a "controversial" figure to appear on campus to give a speech.

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Remind me again why you - or any other pinhead academic elitist - get to decide who and what is a legitimate student-athlete?

And what constitutes an education?

Do people who study music or art - do they get to be called students?

Or do you have to be good at math and English in order to qualify for some arbitrary standard of what is and what isn't a legitimate student?

Draft saved Draft deleted