1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI: A-Rod to become a free agent

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jakewriter82, Oct 28, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Not if you're a Rockies fan.

They'll do squat in the playoffs.

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

How come no one at MLB told Boras to ask for permission to make an announcement during the World Series?

They couldn't fucking wait until tomorrow morning to make this public? Have fun trying to sucker an owner in signing your boy, Boras.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

can't wait to see what boras gets for a-rod w/o the yanks involved now.
    i'd love to see boras get burned. can a-rod get as much or more than the yanks were willing to give him? what are the chances?

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

If the Yanks were willing to give him a 5 years at $30 mill per extension on top of the $81 mill he's owed in the next 3 years, I don't see how Boras can top that without the Yankees in the bidding.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Does the MLBPA get pissed that one of its top players will go into free agency and end up taking a cut -- or at the very least, stay neutral, salary-wise?

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

There are a couple teams who could ante up for Rodriguez. The Mets, Red Sox, Cubs, Dodgers. Maybe Philly and the Giants get involved in the bidding.

Give Team Rodriguez-Boras credit. They played this perfectly. Instead of talking about the Red Sox's second championship in three years, we're talking about ARod.

7. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

yeah, 'cause nobody is gonna want a guy who hit .314 with 54 homers, 156 rbi, a 1.067 ops, 24 stolen bases and plays 150-plus games a year and has two gold gloves at ss

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Is this his way of saying fuck you to the PA after it stepped in and nixed the ARod-to-Red Sox deal in '04?

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

MLBPA can't say anything..it's not restructuring a contract, it's signing a new deal. It's the risk A-Rod and Boras are taking

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I was just thinking about that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Rodriguez willing to take a pay cut to play in Boston and the union said, "Fuck that noise"?

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Fehr has gone on record about players not signing dealers for a lower average salary. They can't do anything, but they will not be happy.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

He wanted to restructure the deal. There would've been more deferred money, and the union balked.

Draft saved Draft deleted