1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shyamalan a ding-dong

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

http://www.southflorida.com/news/la-fi-lady23jun23,0,4551663.story?coll=sfla-entertainment-headlines

Based on his last couple pieces of shit, I have a hard time not thinking that Jacobson is right.

2. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

I don't know...I actually liked "Signs" a lot and "The Village" wasn't bad. He's good with actors and he makes high-quality, but mainstream thrillers. I wouldn't want to piss a guy like that off...his next movie could be another monster like "The Sixth Sense." He's kind of like a big home run hitter who's in a little bit of a slump.

3. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Disagree totally. I enjoy his stuff, and wish there were more like him who make creative, interesting movies. Are there some I like more than others? Definitely.

I do agree with the above post, though - he is a home run hitter.

Guy's not leaving anytime soon.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Disney execs are drones who lack creative vision? Unpossible.

FWIW, I liked Unbreakable better than those others.

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Worst Shymalanadingdong movie ever.

6. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Disney likes creative visions that make money. That's their deal. If you don't make money, your vision is less valuable ... and they have a point, in a way. Don't expect Disney to continue and finance your vanity projects if they fail at the box office. Not a charity.

That being said, it's a tough decision on how to back a director: Does a producer not say something if they feel a film will bomb? There's a huge difference in discussing a film's ideas and forcing a director to make changes. A fine line I hope production studios tread with caution.

As for this director, "Signs" and "The Village" were above average with the common dreck put out by most mainstream studios.

"The Sixth Sense" and "Unbreakable" however were damn good, great even. This director tells stories with the camera, much like Hitchcock. In fact, with this glut of super hero movies, they should reposition "Unbreakable" on DVD and let people know there exists a true, well-developed back story for a super hero. I cannot express how much I love that movie. Perfectly cast (Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson) and it sets up a storyline so fresh and authentic.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Sixth Sense A
    Unbreakable B-
    Signs C-
    The Village D

8. leo1

leo1 Active Member

you're too kind. i agree with your first three but give 'the village' an F minus minus minus. other than the blind girl's performance, one of the worst movies ever made. and i'm not throwing that out lightly.

9. leo1

leo1 Active Member

true 'dat, buckweaver, and here's hoping i never will. ;D

i guess i should say the village was one of the top 10 worst major studio movies ever made -- that i've seen.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I look at Shyamalan a lot like I look at Kevin Smith. I'll give both of them the benefit of the doubt for now because they've still got some credits banked with me.
    I loved 'Chasing Amy' and 'Clerks.' 'Mallrats,' 'Dogma' and 'Jay and Silent Bob' were better than average. I never saw 'Jersey Girl.' So based on my reaction to Smith's previous work, I'll go see 'Clerks II.'
    As for Shyamalan, 'Unbreakable' was fantastic. I loved it. 'The Sixth Sense' was great, too. 'Signs' and 'The Village' were better than average but not great.
    Based on my reaction to Shyamalan's previous work, I'll definitely go see 'Girl in the Water.'

11. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

"Lady in the Water" ... but yeah, I'll definitely see it, too.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Now, if you can get Murphy into the Sixth Sense poster, then I will be impressed.

Draft saved Draft deleted