1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shut down Chuck E. Cheese!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Perry White, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=529383 (via The Obscure Store)

A Milwaukee alderman wants to shut down a south side Chuck E. Cheese's, the family-themed pizza joint better known for its arcade games and jungle gyms than its armed guards.

"I feel that that Chuck E. Cheese's is a threat to the health, safety and welfare of the community," said 14th District Ald. Tony Zielinski. "In fact, a police officer I talked to said it could be just a matter of time until a shooting takes place."

Police were called to the restaurant chain's 2701 S. Chase Ave. location 18 times in June and July on calls ranging from theft and car burglaries to a fight involving 40 people that took 11 officers and three police sergeants to defuse.
    Police who went to the scene were threatened, and one officer was hit by a steel napkin dispenser thrown by a teenager on one side of the fight at someone on the other, according to police reports.

Around the same time, restaurant security began carrying guns, Zielinski said.
    On Oct. 6 at the Bay View location, an argument that broke out between two teenagers over an arcade basketball game ended in a melee with nearly 20 people involved. The two women who called police that day agree the location is a trouble spot.

"Oh, my God, I'll never go back there again," said Veronica Grady, who was about to sing "Happy Birthday" to her 9-year-old daughter when the fight erupted. "They were throwing pans at each other, napkin holders, everything."

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Chuck E. Cheese, where a kid can be a thug.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

This never happened at Showbiz Pizza. They patted you down to check for weapons at the door.

[​IMG]

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I knew there was a reason I never took my boys there for their birthday parties.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

This is a situation which this particular restaurant could have prevented at the start. But they didn't, and this is what they're left with.

You start seeing teen-agers hang out in there, it's not a healthy prognosis. So you discourage it. Period.

My daughter had some great birthday parties at a Chuck E. Cheese where this sort of thing would never have happened.

6. dixiehack

It goes deeper than that. The staff has problems of its own.

[​IMG]

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Brilliance through Google Images. ;)

8. dixiehack

They have been attracting a bad crowd lately.

[​IMG]

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What do you expect when you're led by a rodent?

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Maybe the "two drink minimum" policy was a bad idea! [/rimshot]

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

DAMN those red Xs! They make trouble wherever they go!

12. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

One question:
    What the hell are teenagers doing at a Chuck E. Cheese?!

Draft saved Draft deleted