1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Show some balls, Tournament Committee -- Duke -v- Kentucky in play-in game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Maybe Missouri State should beat someone worth a shit in the last five months of the season, then maybe they'd have an argument.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Can you imagine the fucking hissy fit Coach Kredit Kard would throw if he had to play in the play-in game?

Still, I'd love for someone to make a compelling case to me why Duke deserves to be in the tournament at all. They're 1-6 against current Top 25 teams, 8-8 in conference, and 4-7 in their last 11.

A year ago, Florida State went 9-7 in the ACC and 20-10 overall.

Where did the Seminoles end up? The NIT.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Double, you are aware of the blue uniforms with the four big block white letters across, right? It's a birthright.

4. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

The only team that swept them in conference, if I remember correctly, were the two teams in the conference that were better than them. They beat the earlier fellated Wichita State THREE TIMES.

Maybe some major conference supporters should see that the MVC is worth a shit. It's just like other major fucking conferences in that it's hard to fucking win on the road. When middle teir teams from major conferences win on the road, everyone talks about what a great win it was. When middle tier teams from the MVC win on the road, everyone talks about how the better team shit the bed.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

So what? Wichita State is No. 99 in the RPI. Good for them.

MSU needed to beat Creighton or SIU or Winthrop at home. Had three chances and three whiffs.

N

I

T

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Wichita State down the stretch was like a wedding cake at a Golden Corral -- everyone was getting a piece of it. Not your MoSt compelling argument.

7. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

You're right. Down the stretch, everyone was getting a piece of them, but fuck. Around here there have been plenty of threads about the difficulty of playing in the MVC, especially on the road.

And telling me that Missouri State should have beat SIU and Creighton at home.. fuck.. all three of those teams are going to the fucking dance. So is the team that could be a 1 seed if it can win the big 10 and Missouri State beat them. One of those top 50 losses was in overtime, the second game of the season IIRC, against a team that only lost to Texas by 5 today.

They have one hell of a team and everyone here knows it. They're just getting shit on because their conference is still considered a mid-major (incorrectly, in my opinion).

The NCAA tournament would be far less of a joke if the bids went out much more like they did last year. Mid-majors deserved to be in the dance over Maryland last year, and I'm as much a Maryland supporter as I am a Missouri State supporter.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

For one thing, Missouri State isn't out yet. For another, if they are out, it'll likely not because of the big schools getting most favored nation status, but because the power teams of the fellow mid-major conferences (Xavier, Nevada) both sucked the gas pipe, lifting their one-bid conference to two. Right now you've got a bunch of teams (Missouri State, Drexel, ODU, Air Force, Stanford, Florida State, Arkansas, Kansas State, Appalachian State, Oklahoma State) vying for perhaps 2 or 3 spots. And not a whole lot separating the pack.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

You know, it just won't be fair if this cheerleader, or one like her, doesn't get to attend the tournament.

[​IMG]

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

You're not listening. They NEEDED to beat at least one of those teams at home because you have to have QUALITY wins to make it in the tournament. Not just quality games played. Those are the only teams MSU played in the last few months of the season that are going to the tournament, and MSU whiffed against all of them. You don't get rewarded for trying hard, unless you're playing prep soccer.

11. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Oh, they're out. They've been shit on by the selection committee the last two years. There is no evidence to convince me they won't be shit on again this year. The difference is that I believe this year, it will be a mediocre team from a major conference getting the bid instead of last year's mid-majors.

12. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Then enlighten me. What's the point of a non-conference schedule then? If a mid-major conference is only going to get one or two teams in anyway, what's the point in playing any non-conference schedule, not to mention one that is difficult? Why not pull a Nevada and play nobody teams so you're guaranteed to get in on wins? Since these "elite" teams can play shitty ass teams and those wins help get them in, then what is the point in a smaller school going out to play (and beat in many of the MVC cases) "elite" teams? There is no point if the fact that they're willing to go out and beat the Wisconsin, Virginia Tech, or Kansas teams won't ultimately help them get into the tournament.

Draft saved Draft deleted