1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should working at a large daily still be a journalist's goal?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by newspaperman, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Agreed. If you work hard and happen upon a little luck, you can change the world and win a Pulitzer at the Podunk Weekly. Reporting puts us all on an equal ground.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The second-to-last thing would be to subscribe to the paper.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

As long as you can round up enough change to pay your cable bill, why pay for the paper?

4. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Working at a large daily never was my goal. Originally I wanted to cover auto racing for a national racing paper but that dream faded pretty quickly.
    I've been at weeklies (twice, including now) and small dailies (twice). One thing I've enjoyed is kicking large daily's butt. At each stop, there has been a decent (or big) daily down the road I've competed against. When I started freelancing, I was hoping to get on with a decent sized daily. Then that paper got sold a couple of times and mass layoffs ensued, so it was a blessing in disguise to not get hired there.
    Around here, the daily down the road from us pays well but they've also had either three or four rounds of layoffs in the nearly three years I've been here. They've been cutting newer people first so there would be no stability for anyone joining now.
    I've been fortunate to have covered some of the events I never thought I'd have the chance to, even though I was never at a large daily. If my career ended tomorrow, I'd have zero regrets.

5. It is very satisfying to kick a large daily's butt, isn't it? I used to want to work at a large daily, too, but then I considered what it must be like to have so many other reporters out to scoop me when I know it's impossible to beat everyone on everything. It's more fun to be the underdog, I've found.

6. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Small dailies/weeklies are less stressful, too. At least in my experience, the staff is looking out for each other, rather than looking to cut throats to step up the ladder as happens as the big dailies, or so I'm told.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You can make OK money at a weekly and not devote every waking hour to your job, but you will also cover church luncheons and write featurres on every yokel visiting the big city 200 miles down the road.

8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I'm at a twice-weekly paper that's family-owned. I used to want to work my way up the chain, but after marriage and three kids, it's nice to at least be able to sleep in my bed each night. Having said that, I'm working toward being off this dinosaur by this time next year.

9. Illino

Illino Member

I always wanted to be at The Plain Dealer when I started, but having some experience on the small scale has completely changed that around. With my wife working a solid 30-35 hours a week, I am set financially, and we are both HAPPY.

Being at a community newspaper has allowed me to find more compelling stories that I can devote as much or as little time as I need to devote to them. And I have little to no worries about losing my position.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Never give up your dream, dammit!

11. Illino

Illino Member

Haha. Once I grew up (i.e. got married), my dreams changed slightly...lol

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good for you.

Draft saved Draft deleted