1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should this reporter have been arrested?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Mar 29, 2007.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

I say yes. Too many times does the media go overboard in their attempts to play watchdog.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/03/28/america/NA-GEN-US-Reporter-Arrested.php

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Except that they are charging her with aggravated attempted kidnapping, a charge they know to be bullshit.

I could see some form of trespassing but not kidnapping.

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Right - I doubt the reporter actually intended to kidnap a baby, so I think the charge of attempted kidnapping is bogus.

But you're right, mark -- it's not a great idea to F with people who have just given birth. It's cruel.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If all she did was go into the nursery area and talk to nurses, I don't see a problem at all.

Hospitals should be able to demonstrate they can protect newborns from TV reporters and other crazies.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Sounds like they did.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good. So no need to arrest the less.

7. Armchair_QB

Actually yes there is a need. Your station badge/press pass isn't a Get Out of Jail Free Card.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't think the arrest was out of line, either. But the attempted kidnapping charge is a joke.

9. Armchair_QB

I agree on the kidnapping charge. But that'll get tossed out.

10. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

;D

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Sounds like the reporter thought that identifying herself as a reporters to workers there would be enough.

It would be like doing an investigative piece on drive-offs at gas stations by actually doing it, seeing whether each place has the proper security in place to catch offenders, then flashing your ID badge and handing out your business card to explain that it's OK because you're doing a story. That wouldn't fly.

It might be an issue, but there are better ways to go about doing the story.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I wouldn't have a problem with her facing trespassing charges, since they said she was definitely in areas marked restricted or controlled.

Attempted kidnapping? Eh. Don't see that, although it was stupid of her to have a big red bag with her.

Draft saved Draft deleted