1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should this line have been edited?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Seahawk, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=2631486

When I read this column about the pole vault competition between Jenn Stuczynski and Yelena Isinbayeva, the following line raised my eyebrows. Should this have been edited?

Big poles and big mouths don’t go together. Stuczynski knows that now.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Yes. Unless you want all the reader comments to say, "That's what she said."

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I thought they did go together? [/michaelscottheytheofficestartsagainsoon!!!]

4. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

I saw that on the wire last night and kind of grimaced. We didn't run the story, but if we did, I would have left the line as is.

There are many lines that need to be watched, but honestly most of our readers aren't as dirty minded as the people putting the paper together.
    It's a story about trash talk in pole vaulting. Big whoop. Taken out of context a lot of crap can sound dirty. Just let most of it go and give the reader some credit.

5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

This thread is useless without...well, you know.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Grimace?

Draft saved Draft deleted