1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should the President of the United States have a Swiss bank account?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, May 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You know, I get that no one in the Democrat Party gave a shit about Presidential blowjobs.

But there was also no outrage, no 1% vs. 99% class warfare, when we learned about Bill Clinton investing in sham land deals, turning $1,000 into $100,000 thanks to Red Bone assigning winning trades to Hillary's account, or to her becoming a partner in the state's most prestigious law firms when her husband was elected Secretary of State.

For God's sake, Hillary served on the Board of Directors for Wal*Mart. Wal*Mart! And, no one is offended.

(And, for all their graft, they never so much as owned their own home until they left the White House.)

There's no evidence that Mitt Romney has ever done anything unethical. But, since we can't criticize his ethics, we'll criticize his wealth, and his success.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/10/opinion/the-fight-against-tax-evasion.html

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/banking/story/2012-02-03/swiss-bank-charged-wegelin/52953452/1

I highly doubt the weakness of the dollar was the motivation for his accounts. And in an election, doubt is all you need.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Romney 2012: My Retirement Money is Safe in the Cayman Islands. How About Yours?

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

True...places like the Cayman Islands.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/romney-parks-millions-offshore-tax-haven/story?id=15378566#.T6AA8sRYsmQ

5. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Mitt Romney combines Nixon's warmth and sincerity with George W. Bush's scrappy, underdog upbringing.

6. Nixon and W were both elected to 2-terms. Something Obama will never be able to claim (God willing).

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

"I'm so confident in the potential of the American people and the American economy that my money's overseas!"

Let's see how Romney's speech writer fits that in.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And so was Clinton. Your point?

9. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

It just so happens I teach a class at Columbia called "The Republican Party in the 21st Century" so I think my insights into Mr. Romney have a great deal of validity.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The point isn't that he's breaking the law. The point is whether you think a tax system that allows and/or encourages the Mitt Romneys of the world to do like he does is one that's good for the country, which is an argument you have to make in the affirmative if you want to run said country.

I'm not arguing right or wrong. Just talking strategy.

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Outing alert: YankeeFan is Bob Dole.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Romney 2012: Because Your Dollar Is Weak.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.