1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Peter King Resign From Football Night In America?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Sep 9, 2014.

?

Should Peter King Resign From Football Night In America?

1. Yes

60.0%
  2. No

40.0%
  1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Boom, you really want to free up more air time for Florio?

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I had the same experience at a college town paper. I was told to back off more than a few times. Left as a result. Covering the NFL, it was never quite that cut and dry, but there were a lot of times where it would be, "Do we really want to go there?" The difference was that the college had no problem flexing its muscle to try to kill a story. Covering the NFL, it was just a couple wuss editors who were afraid to field whiny phone calls from the team's PR department.

With the national guys, it's all about who can break news and if Schefter, King, Mort, Glazer, Prisco, or any of the top guys burn a source who has been good to them, they could be fucked.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

So to maintain access to scoops with a shelf life of minutes and the impact of air, these reporters should allow sources to lie to them with impunity. Hell, they might as well go work for the damn league if that's the setup.

4. Outing: Boom is Florio.

5. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

Where's the like button?

I was thinking the same thing -- many of the "scoops" these guys break are only significant to a very select audience, men who are obsessed about NFL football.

If I'm an editor, my reporter's credibility is not worth being first to break the Redskins putting their backup long-snapper on IR.

I'd prefer that they comport themselves like professional journalists.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

how popular is MMQB

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think you guys are looking at the wrong way. If he SI asked him to resign from NBC, wouldn't he just choose NBC instead? Can't imagine NBC doesn't pay him way more.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

This isn't a King bash, but here's the lede on that story:

"In this world of Twitter, few people are worthy of more than 140 characters. Peter King is."

Huh?

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

King is on with Anderson Cooper in 10 minutes.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

But maybe his value to NBC is that the can bill him as "inside" reporter from SI.

He loses that value if he resigned from SI.

It's interesting that if you look at the bios on the Football Night In America
    web site, King is not listed but Florio is. Either King has already resigned or
    NBC does not consider him an employee.

http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/shows/football-night-in-america/

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

As soon as Jay Glazer leaves Fox due to his commercials and business partnerships with players he covers, then King should do the same.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yes. Everyone should determine their own standards based on the standards of those who have none.

Draft saved Draft deleted