1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Mayor Bloomberg have postponed the NY Marathon?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Agree with Ragu. A regular-season pro game just doesn't require the same resources as a 26-mile race with thousands of entrants.

If the NBA/NFL or teams wanted to relocate or postpone the games, fine. They're call. At least no one is criticizing the NHL on this one.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Also concur with Ragu. You're talking about confined arenas/stadiums, not spreading this thing out over the entire city and, at most, 3-4 percent, of the people/spectators. No brainer to cancel the marathon, and if NBA and NFL officials were in contact with mayors/governors/officials (and they were, multiple times, but all accounts) in terms of holding their games, then there's no problem doing it.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Funny much hullaballow is made over this. I've heard very little about postponing the election, which is a far, far, far bigger deal and far more people are affected.

I would support postponing it in areas that were seriously affected. Let the governors of each state make the call.

4. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Congress set the federal election date in 1845.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yes, because letting each state set its primary date works so fucking well...

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

OK, are we talking an emergency or not?

So, what would you suggest if there were a 9/11-style attack the eve of the scheduled election?

My point is that because of this storm, there are going to be a large number of people who are logistically unable to vote in certain places. If this election is all that some people are making it to be --- "the most important election of our lifetimes" I don't believe that but others do --- then doesn't it make sense to give as many people as possible a fair shot?

I could write a thesis on all the things I believe are wrong with American government and politics. But this seems like a no-brainer to me. If there are large numbers of people disenfranchised by something like a natural disaster, doesn't it make sense to make alternate plans?

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Please do. I'd buy that. I'd buy the shit out of it.

8. Put it up on Kindle Singles. You'd be rich.

Draft saved Draft deleted