1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Journalists Accept an Invitation to the State Dinner?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'm sure they do. Just don't ever have it come up in conversation with a coach or parent.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Do they have cool swag at state dinners like a bowl games?

I swore off most banquets, except for the American Legion program, back at my first stop. The last one was on a Monday night, after my deadline, for a football team that went 5-5 (or was it 6-4?). Oh yeah, it was Singletary's Bears vs. Montana's 49ers on the Monday night game. Four hours of my life I will never get back ... inside jokes, bs gag awards to go along with the traditional ones, and to top it all off, even though he knew many folks were recording it, the coach announced the halftime score. Never again.

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I would guess that if you looked hard enough, you'd find something wrong with the politics of every international leader.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Aside from wondering when the state dinner for Raul Castro is going to be...

I think a state dinner is an event that reporters can go to, assuming you're not just there to act like hot shit and you can actually make it a working experience.

I have far bigger qualms with the correspondence dinners where politicians and the reporters get together to celebrate each other. Those things are utter embarassments.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

1. Glad to see Herbie and GiGi Hancock on the list, as well as Mr. Yo Yo Ma.

2. Would you rather be called His Excellency... or The Honorable...? Tough call.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Kind of cool, the seating chart for last night's dinner:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/19/AR2011011906290.html

7. I don't know. We never did in high school.

8. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Boehner has developed a track record of skipping state dinners and similar functions. Must not like wearing a tuxedo.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Shit, we have one thread on Ganett imploding and another on MediaNews having a buncha turnover at the top. If you're going, take some resumes and cover letters with you.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You would think Boehner and Obama would at least be smoking buddies. Out there at the WH's "corner" puffin' away.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

E.J. Dionne and Diane Sawyer are guests at tonight's State Dinner. Google's Eric Schmidt too.

Also, Chief Justice John Roberts.

Full guest list:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/click/0611/The_White_House_State_Dinner_guest_list.html

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Gotta work your corners.

Draft saved Draft deleted