1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should it be THIS bad

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Riddick, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

It had to happen sooner or later, but I think I finally made a bad job decision. What sucks is the pay is pretty good and I'm able to get caught up on a lot of bills. So, I feel I'm stuck here until I eliminate a lot of my credit card debt.
    Guess I just never expected to be one of those people that didn't enjoy their job.

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Bring in a nerf football or a nerf hoop. At least for the sports folk it will be a good stress breaker when deadline is about to come crashing down on you and you're waiting for that story from a stringer.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Our group, within itself -- editorial/production -- is extremely friendly with each other and works great together.

But an Internet company has a lot of different kinds of people, also advertising, marketing and, of course, the tech people.

Some of the young tech guys, I just don't bother anymore. They're not nasty, just totally in their own world. I could actually stop them, shake them violenty by their shoulders, say "HELLO!! HELLO!! HOW'S IT GOING??!!" and when I was done, they'd simply walk away.

4. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I have both a nerf hoop/ball and several candy dishes ... both of which are the kind of icebreakers they are designed for.

The candy, too, never fails to attract the office babes -- especially when I stock it with Hershey Kisses.

rb

5. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

yeah. i'm not THAT lucky. We don't have any "office babes."

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It always bothered me how increasingly miserable newsrooms were as I moved up the ladder. I had more fun at my 20,000-circ paper than a major metro 20x bigger. I know the latter had generally older staffers with spouses and kids, but still. The lack of camaraderie was striking and even a detriment to the product IMO. I don't think the creative juices flow very well in places that aren't any fun to work.

7. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Then you did indeed make a bad job decision.

8. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

In the job interview, because I'm still (sorta) young I ask "What are the demographics of your newsroom?"

Not that I expect the ME, SE or Publisher to say "young and hot babes." But at least they can shed some light on age, marriage, energy etc.

9. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

where i am at the sports department is kind of in its own corner, and we have fun...we get along with the newsies pretty good as well. I guess I would say it's friendly, which is nice.

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

The first place I worked -- many, many years ago -- was a 40,000 circ. daily. I knew everybody on the staff, knew their spouses/partners, knew what their kids were in to. Payday was Wednesday and after shift everybody hit the bar that was out the back door and 50 yards down the alley. The early shift composing room guys usually made it there by 2 or 3 p.m. Morning editorial people (we were a PM edition) got there between 3 and 4. The ad people arrived at 5 and some of the night crew came in during their a dinner break. It wasn't unusual to see the agate clerk chatting with the publisher's secretary.
    Now, at the major metro I'm at, everybody has iPods. You call out to somebody and they don't even hear you. I probably know 10 people outside of sports, after-shift drinking sessions are 3-4 times a year.
    It definitely was a lot more fun back then.

11. John

John Well-Known Member

If I'm the boss, I wouldn't let my staff use iPods at the office.

12. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Absolutely agree. If I am the slot guy and I want to tell one of my copy editors to change a headline, I don't want to call his name out four times and then have to resort to throwing a wad of paper at him to get his attention because he's zoning out listening to some spring training baseball game on XM Radio.

Draft saved Draft deleted