1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should I see Paul McCartney, or "What do you do to make decisions on shows?"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TheWritingWaffle, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

What about Zombie Buddha?

2. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

What Elliotte said. I've seen McCartney three times (HUGE, HUGE Beatles fan) and last summer's stadium tour was by far the best.

Now, we got our seats for $20 (yes, $20!) because I was in a wheelchair and we got handicapped. But he would have been worth five times or more than that.

My wife wasn't much of a Beatles fan but she absolutely loved it. Called it the best show she's ever seen. Now, she loves McCartney and has become a Beatles fan.

I've seen probably close to 150 concerts and this was top five without a doubt.

He played three-plus hours, never took a break and never took a sip of water that I saw. The New York show said the same thing: Three hours, no water.

And for a stadium show, the sound was great. HUGE TV screens on both sides of the stage so you could see even though we were in the upper deck down the right-field line and he was in center field.

Spend the money.

3. Dark_Knight

Dark_Knight Member

I agree with you there, Lies.

Then again, Waffle, do it. If you love McCartney that much, then of course going is going to be memorable to you. And you'll remember the experience that moment for the rest of your life, $200 be damned!

I went to a concert over the summer, the Josh Abbott Band, and although I spent what turns out to be a measly $55 compared to the McCartney concert, it ended up being one of the best experiences of my life –– top 3, no lie.

You can't put a price on that.

4. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Saw him back in 1990, and no one thought he would tour for much longer since it was his first tour in forever. It was a great show, and from what I've seen on TV he still puts on a great show. He doesn't sing as well as he used to, but he's not bad, and he has a great band and it still looks like a good time.

But no way would I pay that much to see him, unless I had major FU money, or I never did anything and decided to splurge. He is the only person I'd pay a lot to see though. Saw U2 for 60 bucks, and felt like a bargain for how awesome the show was.

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Saw him sometime this century--don't recall exactly when.

Great show--makes my top 5 concerts list.

6. joe

joe Active Member

I would. Oh, yes, I would.

7. joe

joe Active Member

I wouldn't pay a whole shitload of money to see anyone in concert — certainly not much more than $100 — and most of the acts I'd like to see these days are older country artists: Merle Haggard, George Jones and the like. I got to see Johnny Cash, like, 12 years ago in a bar for $20. Best $20 I ever spent.

I would, however, spend $300 or $400 to have another ride in a Champ car around the California Speedway infield track. Better. Than. Sex.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I've seen him 5-6 times overall; he's never been less than very good.

If you like the Beatles and have never seen him before, definitely go.

9. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Just shelled out $70 a pop for Neil Young and Crazy Horse at Tuscaloosa in two weeks, and was eager to do so. That's about the top end of what I'd be willing to pay for most shows, although Sir Paul might be an exception.

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

To second many others: spend the money and see the show, Waffle. I'd certainly do it if McCartney came anywhere near here.

Even if it's in a stadium, a live concert is something that's infinitely better in person than watching it on TV or online. Unlike, say, an NFL game.

11. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Completely off topic of the thread, but I am one of the few at that this site that just do not agree with this.

12. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Saw Neil Young with Crazy Horse, solo, the Shocking Pinks, CS&N, doing his computer music. Probably 6-7 times total. Was great every time.

Draft saved Draft deleted