1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should I quit/demand a raise? Help...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Paternoville, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Paternoville

Paternoville New Member

Long-time reader, first-time poster. I have found this site very helpful over the last few years, and now I need some help of my own.

I write for a small-to-medium sized daily in the Midwest as part of a 3-person staff that includes two writers and the SE. I’ve been at said daily for about a year now. One of the writers quit last September leaving me to pick up most of the slack in the middle of the fall season (we had quite a few playoff football teams). I did so, and received plenty of compliments all around. Because of this, I’ve been waiting for the right time to ask for a raise.

Anyway, we finally got around to hiring someone new in December. This new hire came in with substantially less experience than me and has produced very poor copy that has been roundly panned by several readers and coaches in the area. On top of all that, this person has very limited knowledge of sports in general (don’t ask me how they got hired).

Here’s my problem: I recently found out that this new hire has a higher salary than I do. What should I do? I don’t think it’d be right to bring up this knowledge to the SE, but I feel like I have to do something. It pisses me off more than anything and kind of makes me want to just walk out and leave the SE stuck with the bed that he made. Having a discussion about a raise, though, would likely be more productive for myself. How do I go about initiating this conversation, and what should I say/do?

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

why don't you simply talk to your SE without being pissed off and without making threats?

3. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Are you suggesting "this person" got hired because she's a woman?

4. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Am I missing where Paternoville says it's a woman?

5. Paternoville

Paternoville New Member

No, it's a guy.

And I'm not going to be confrontational and pissed off when I approach the SE. I've just never asked for a raise before and am not sure how to go about doing it.

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Some days you are just looking to get your ass kicked, aren't you?

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Yea, there's not a drop of sexism left in the world, is there :p

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Prepare a spiel about all the extra stuff you have done and explain that while you can appreciate the financial pressures facing the industry, you need to know that the newspaper values your efforts and right now you don't feel like it does. A raise would do that. Give them two weeks to make it right and if they blow you off, start sending out resumes. (Make sure to leave an updated copy or two around your desk)

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I'll just share anecdotal experience:

First time I ever asked for a raise, the managing editor said that the paper pays according to the market. In other words, it pays what it has to when hiring new people, and then pays what it has to when retaining staffers who get job offers from elsewhere.

OK, fine, so I sent out some resumes and clips and got a job offer, at a nice raise, from a similarly sized paper.

Went to the managing editor again -- the sports editor referred all personnel and pay issues to this guy -- only to be told, "Well, we here at the Daily Bugle don't let outsiders dictate what we pay to our people. We base people's pay on their value to us."

In other words, he was working both sides of the street. Jackass then, jackass now. Didn't get a raise, turned down the offer on its own merits -- and left for a better place and deal within six months.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

One valuable lesson I learned over the years is this: don't count on raises.

Negotiate the highest starting salary before you accept the position because that's going to determine your annual raise, unless of course you get a substantial promotion.

Don't let them lowball you at the beginning with promises of things to come.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Update that resume and cover letter, send it out, have a good interview and get a good offer, and slap that puppy on your editor's desk.

If your paper wants to keep you, they'll match it or raise it.

If not, you know what to do.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Just be prepared to either (a) accept your leverage offer, or (b) sit it out, if "they" say no.

Draft saved Draft deleted