1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should I get a new phone number?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

I had this problem (of my own doing) when a collection agency kept calling my workplace. I faxed a cease and desist order to their customer service department regarding them not calling the work number, and those calls stopped. Granted, they could still call my home number, but it's worth a shot for you. Do you also get mail from this company?

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Fuck man I had the exact same experience.

The odd thing--indeed, Alanis Morrissette would call it ironic--is that the only one to hang up on me when I was arguing with those fucks over fixing my piece of shit laptop last spring was an American-sounding woman.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

My cell phone number belonged to a guy who obviously walked away owing a bunch of different people.

It took nearly a year to wean people -- including his friends and family -- from calling. At some point, it just became the principal of the thing. But I have beaten it, finally ... I hope.

When I lived in NoVa, a buddy of mine who worked in the VP's office crashed at my place for a while after he first moved up.

After he moved out, that number never did quite get leeched out of the White House phone list, and I would get calls for him off and on until he left the gummint. Including, once, a direct call from the Veep. "Sorry, Mr. Vice President, but this isn't ____'s number. Let me give it to you."

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I wonder how many people saw the subject line of this thread and thought it was about Mr. Shackleford being repeatedly drunk-called from Vegas.

5. Can't you just get the call blocked or that annoying thing ... privacy direct whatever, where the caller has to give their name ...

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

When I first got a cell phone, I was getting those calls for someone else.

I'm not proud of it, but I once engaged one of those third-world mo-fo's in a dialog because it's amusing to get them off their index cards.

"Do you speak English?"

"Yes, English, speaking English."

"I mean conversational English, you asswipe. Regular English, prick."

"Yes, speaking English."

"Because here's the deal, cocksucker. That amount is $18.12?"

"No, no, amount is $23.46."

"Hey, dicknose, did you know there was a war in 1812? That must be why I remember that."

"Amount is $23.46. We can do check by mail."

"Yes, but if I give you check information, how do I know you're not going to blow it on some hairy-assed whores?"

"Yes, check by mail. $23.46."

And so on.

I know, I know. I'm easily amused.

7. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i hope you're not a journalist. those fucking things where you have to announce your name or whatever just killed me a few times when i was in the business. it was probably 5-6 years ago so i don't know how they work now but you had like 10 seconds to say your name and that was never enough time to get out why i was calling so i never got through to these people.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Get the company name and file an FCC complaint.

9. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

To answer an earlier question, no, I don't get any of Abron Jackson's mail. I think he just lists my phone number when he knows he's going to be owing somebody money that he doesn't intend to pay. But he doesn't know whose number it is or where I live.

I discussed the situation with my wife, and we're just going to start keeping a list of all the different companies that call looking for Abron, and (politely, at first) tell each one he doesn't live here and not to call back. On subsequent calls, we'll speak to a supervisor and threaten to report them to the police for harrassment. If they call again, we'll actually report them.

10. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

My mom did that once with a guy that was stalking her via phone ... assclown never called back.

11. JackS

JackS Member

In all likelihood, Abron Jackson had your number at one time and just keeps listing it as his own to give him the (lame) excuse that he "mistakenly" listed his old number if someone figures him out and confronts him on it.

No offense, but the solution you agreed to with your wife is no good. It's not the companies who are the villain here; it's Abron Jackson. He's gonna keep generating these calls by listing your number no matter how many times you complain to these companies or threaten to report them.

If you're not gonna hunt Abron down, then just change your number.

12. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

Get Caller ID. At this point it's free in most phone packages (along with voice mail and call waiting).

Then never never never answer the phone if it comes up as "Unknown Name/Unknown Number" or a phone number that you don't recognize. Let it go to voice mail/answering machine. You are not obligated to talk to these people nor are you obligated to talk to them.

Everyone who wants/needs to talk to me, knows to call me on my cell phone. I answer

Works for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted