1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should I expense it?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smokey33, Jun 11, 2008.

1. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

Any time I use Priceline, Expedia, etc. on a work trip, I always get a strongly worded e-mail from a bean counter. They hate that. It's never been explained why.

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Expense it. If the person who OKs your expense report asks about it and you explain that it saved the company money, I'll bet they have no problem with it. When it's clear you're trying to get the company to pay for personal business, that's when it crosses the line.

3. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

This is an interesting situation. I didn't think airlines really charged you that much different anymore for this sort of thing. However, when I was in a similar situation, I came home the first day I could, even though it cost more. My logic was that I have inconvenienced my family for the sake of the paper to be on the road in the first place, and I'm not going to stay away from home a whole extra day just to save them some money. I have no problem with saving them money by taking slightly less convenient flights, staying in worse hotels, etc., but being away from home for a whole extra day is where I draw the line.

Apologies if that's a thread-jack.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I got weird looks when I repeatedly, demonstrably saved the company considerable money on necessary trips, through my own initiative.

One of the great mysteries of corporate life.

Would love some wiser head to explain it to me.

5. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

My instructions have been this: Just use common sense and be fair. Don't to stay in the Roadside Inn, but don't spend an extra $40 a night just to get the Mariott points. If there's a shuttle, use that instead of renting a car. Find a good deal on a flight, but don't kill yourself.

6. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

This is my first time traveling with this paper. I've used Priceline at other shops with no problem. I use it religiously for personal travel. I'd rather stay somewhere awesome and get an angry email later than to stay at the fleabag motel for the same price.

Two nights at a nice 3-star with a stellar breakfast was $110 total with tax. I couldn't stay at the Motel 6 for that much, and I'd have to buy breakfast.

7. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

What he said!

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, do most people here make their own travel arrangements or is there a person at your office who handles everything?

Last place I worked, the President's assistant made ALL the arrangements (airfare, hotel) for everyone's trips.

The President, also the owner of the company, collected (and used) all travel points.

9. Yes, it was part of the job. You saved some money, expense it.

10. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

We are strictly forbidden. I'm not sure why, either. Something about "we don't use travel agents, and these sites count." I'm not sure why they'd care, so long as it saves money, but they do.

I don't think I'd use them anyway, because it would screw with my airline and marriott points, but still ... ;)

11. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

We make our own arrangements, and keep our own points. And I don't think I'd take a job at a place that didn't let me have my points, unless the compensation blew everything else out of the water. Racking up free travel, in my opinion, is the best perk this job offers.

12. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

How does one person get travel points when it's another who's flying? Sounds like a neat little scam I'd like to learn.

Draft saved Draft deleted