1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should I be offended by this?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pressboxer, Jul 29, 2006.

1. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

During an interview for a football tab story, the coach and I are going over the offense and I make some comment about how they can mix and match personnel in various packages to disguise tendencies.

The coach's response: "That's pretty good. You think like a coach!"

I feel like I need another shower.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Why would you be offended?

3. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Yeah, if I ever said that to my football coach, he probably would've told me to sit back on the bench.

4. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

No offense. The coach just wants to be your friend.

5. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

that's a compliment in coachspeak

6. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

So he'll understand when I second-guess some of his moves in print, right? ;)

7. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

if he has an IQ above a turnip, yes.

one of the best things you can do on preps is get in with your coaches and watch film and write the parts people want to know while leaving out all the bullshit headgames. you're on your way, pbxr.

8. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Honestly, they may be utterly useless in the rest of life (and often when you put a microphone in front of their mouths), but football coaches probably know their game better than any other group of coaches as a whole. Even your low-end college coaches would probably make your head spin if you asked to do a video session with them. So, pbxr, no, I wouldn't be offended. I'd consider myself "in" with said coach, and able to talk to them without wondering if they think of me as a fucking know-nothing.

9. Matt Foley

Matt Foley Member

You should only be offended if he was referring to this coach

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted