1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should homeschool kids be allowed to play school sports?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Jun 18, 2013.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Interesting debate, as chronicled here:

http://www.npr.org/2013/06/18/188409473/home-schooled-students-fight-to-play-on-public-school-teams?ft=1&f=1055

(To answer my own question, no. If you want to participate in the benefits of schools, then you should be a member of them).

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

No. As you say, if you want to be a member of the school, be a member of the school. Life isn't ala carte. Participating in extracurricular activities is not a right. It's a privilege (#crossthread).

In our area, home school students are allowed to play in state-sanctioned sports on teams made up completely of home school kids. I don't have a problem with that. They get their asses handed to them 99 times out of 100, but they are allowed to participate without shopping themselves to whatever program they want.

That said, seeing as how I am now a high school head coach ... if I have a home school kid that comes wanting run cross country this fall and he runs in the 17s, sure he can participate ;)

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

All of their games are home games.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The portion dedicated to schools from individual property taxes generally covers less than 1/3 of the cost to educate a public school student. Public schools also get a state stipend for every enrolled student. The school receives nothing from the state for a home-schooled student.

But it's supposed to provide extra-curricular activities, and pay for coaches, insurance, transportation, etc., for a kid whose parents don't think the school is good enough to attend in the first place? Not.

Maybe not. But their parent's are responsible for that problem, not the school.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I'm with Shoeless Joe, mostly over the scenario he raised in the last paragraph, recruiting wars. Having a team for homeschooled kids is a good compromise. Just another example of "want it all" parents.

And as I've said elsewhere, I fear for HR people worldwide in a few years when they have to dignify with a response why Little Jimmy is starting in the mailroom instead of the corner office.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They should just let each kid decide at the start of the year which classes he'll take at the school and which classes he'll have his parents teach him.

7. doctorx

doctorx Member

But then Tim Tebow couldn't have helped Nease High School run up scores in 2004 and '05.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Assuming they aren't putting a financial burden on the program, the arguments against seem remarkably petty to me.

9. LongTimeListener

You're depriving a student a chance to play in order to accommodate a non-student.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If they're non-students, then they don't have to have any sort of approval or contact with the district?

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of home school?

12. LongTimeListener

I don't know that. I do know they're choosing not to be part of the school.

Draft saved Draft deleted