1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Hibbert be suspended?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NDJournalist, Jun 2, 2013.

?

Should Roy Hibbert have to sit out Game 7 for homophobic remarks?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    7.2%
  2. No

63 vote(s)
    91.3%
  3. Maybe

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Should Jerry Seinfeld be executed for the "Not that there's anything wrong with that" episode.

Discuss.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think it's the word "homo," not the sentiment.

If Hibbert had said, "We're not gay or anything," it would be quite different.

There is also a time and a place for things. I have gay friends with whom I exchange barbs about sexual orientation. I have others whom I never would. They just don't find it humorous, and I respect that. A press conference after an NBA playoff game? Probably not the right time and place.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It's education not punisment that is needed.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I would find it acceptable if the action the league took was, "We are not going to suspend Roy Hibbert this time. But the term he used was offensive, and we are making it clear that from here on out, there will be zero tolerance for it, and a suspension will be forthcoming."

And, of course, to your point, an eloquent explanation of why it is unacceptable and offensive.

5. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

I apologize if anything that follows reads as if I'm being condescending.

Cue up the video. Listen to Hibbert's commentary: "I really felt that I let Paul down in terms of having his back..."

He goes on to add some detail and then quickly tosses in "no homo" in response to something George said so quietly it wasn't picked up by the microphones.

I'll bet lots of cash George made a quick, cutting comment regarding Hibbert wanting to have his back.

I'd guess he didn't use any single word that would instantly offend but I'll bet the gist of the comment would bother some just as much as Hibbert's word choice.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

This. I don't see what purpose a suspension would serve, except to the symbolism-over-substance crowd.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

i think he's gotten the message and learned his lesson without the overkill of a game 7 suspension, for crissakes: http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/9334504/2013-nba-playoffs-roy-hibbert-indiana-pacers-apologizes-postgame-gay-slur

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Oh for cripes sake, Dick, you do have penchant for silly hyperbole with your word choice.

Yes, it's utterly "inconcievable" despite the facts that:

--our little poll overwhelmingly votes No. Indeed, appears you and NDJournalist are the only two people here who voted Yes. Guess all the rest of us are incapable of rational conception.

--it would be contrary to how the league has handled worse versions of the same situation--Kobe and Noah said considerably uglier gay slurs--and were met with huge fines, but were not suspended for even a meaningless regular season game. Yet you think Hibbert should be kept out the single most important game yet played in this entire NBA season because he said the word homo.

--it would compromise the competitive integrity of the series, piss off and alienate a big portion of their fan and customer base, and give great fodder to the anti-NBA conspiracy theorists.

And it's simply unnecessary. A humongous fine and reprimand can adequately punish Hibbert without that collateral harm.

9. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

If they want to make a fine mean something to a player, it actually has to mean something to the player. Perhaps the NBA should fine Hibbert his entire 2012-13 salary.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

No.

But somebody needs to slap the shit out of him for the way the show ended.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Final line of last episode was the very first line of first episode.

Except instead of a diner they're in a jail cell.

So much goodness about it.

12. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

Talk about a show canceled too early.

Draft saved Draft deleted