1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should CNN.....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Aug 28, 2012.

?

In Order To Bolster Sagging Ratings, Should CNN....

Poll closed Sep 4, 2012.
  1. Go Conservative And Thus, Head-To-Head With FOX

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  2. Go Liberal/Progressive and Thus, Head-To-Head With MSNBC

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  3. Stay The Course of What They Perceive As Balanced With Current Hosts/Line-Up

8 vote(s)
    34.8%
  4. Change Course of What They Perceive As Balanced With New Hosts/Line-Up

12 vote(s)
    52.2%
  1. This has long been my opinion. While we're at it, it would be awesome if Ted could buy back the Braves and Hawks.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

To be fair, I don't think its the anchors. The network has the odd habit of getting a "name" throwing them on screen before they have any concept of a show. And then when the show fails, they grab another "name" and do it all over again.
    They need a top down housecleaning.

I thought it was funny about the tornado hitting Bristol allusion. A CNNer was involved in an incident "somewhere" today that made news at other news outlets, but the network still seems to be trying to figure out how to deal with it.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

When I was a kid, the 6 p.m. news in my hometown was a guy at a desk with a script and a microphone and a clock on the wall. I'd strip CNN all the way down to that, then build up from there.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd actually watch a traditional nightly newscast. Not the broadcast stuff which has way too much fluff, but a solid hour of news, international, an interesting feature, maybe even a weather segment. Find journos who can tell a story in an interesting way, even if the story itself isn't all that interesting.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Of all the cable networks, I watch CNN the most.

Used to be MSNBC, but they've swung so far to the left that they've lost all credibility and couldn't cover an objective news story if it hit them in the face. And Fox News Channel is, well, hopelessly out of touch the other direction. I honestly don't know why I would watch either of those two, because I can recite in my sleep what they are going to say.

This being an election year swings the perception, but there are a lot more days when politics is not --- or should not --- be the lead story. CNN does a better job on breaking news than any of the other cable networks, as they should given their resources.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Bring it back:
    [​IMG]

OK, it won't be Hick and Nick, but given the current state of SportsCenter, with the right talent it could work. It couldn't be much worse than anything CNN has on now. And didn't CNN just make a deal with Anthony Bourdain for a prime time show?

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I like Erin Burnett, sounds intelligent, like she wrote the words she's saying.

MSNBC lost me completely when they hired Al Sharpton. He's got less credibility than Uberfuhrer Glen Beck

8. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I'd argue the PBS NewsHour already does this. Whether that can have broader appeal, and be done in a way that fills 24 hours, I'm not sure. I would love to see it tried, but I'm skeptical a for-profit entity could manage it.

9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Completely agree with this.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I thought Nick Charles passed away.

Back in the day when CNN did sports, I thought they did it well. But I understand their decision to punt sports to ESPN rather than invest the resources needed to cover things thoroughly.

I like what I've seen from NBC Sports Network shows thus far.

People younger than I who may not have been around for the early days of ESPN may not fully appreciate how much it has evolved in 32 years and what it was when it started. You don't start out at the very top in any new endeavor.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And then they'd spend a week on Tebow's reaction to the tornado.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Yes, Charles is dead. Was doing boxing for Showtime (a role taken over by Gus Johnson) at the time of his passing.

One thing I didn't factor in when I made the first post was how fragmented the market has become. As I noted on another thread, I go to Quick Pitch over ESPN for highlights, since I get baseball without the fawning over whatever Lebron may have tweeted or 5 minutes on Tebow picking his nose. With NBATV and NHLTV in the mix as well, how many fans go there instead of the WWL?

Draft saved Draft deleted