1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should CNN.....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Aug 28, 2012.

?

In Order To Bolster Sagging Ratings, Should CNN....

Poll closed Sep 4, 2012.
  1. Go Conservative And Thus, Head-To-Head With FOX

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  2. Go Liberal/Progressive and Thus, Head-To-Head With MSNBC

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  3. Stay The Course of What They Perceive As Balanced With Current Hosts/Line-Up

8 vote(s)
    34.8%
  4. Change Course of What They Perceive As Balanced With New Hosts/Line-Up

12 vote(s)
    52.2%
  1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

I do not consider this subject a political question. I consider this question about the network, not about the parties. If the Moderators disagree, I will understand. But after reading the article below, and knowing how much we print-types groan about broadcast from time-to-time, I was curious what direction, based on the accompanying article, you folks thought CNN ought to go in.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/life_and_entertainment/2012/08/28/critics-say-lagging-cnn-needs-major-makeover.html

Like I said, this is about the network, NOT the political parties. But if the moderators disagree and pull this subject, just let me know and I will understand. Thanks.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

CNN is balanced? :D

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

"Stay the course of balanced ..."

You're joking, right? Because I'm laughing.

4. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

I have found the flaw in the questions, Old Tony. Even I have trouble with some of the hosts (Morgan, most notably). But after reading an article about a critic's suggestion CNN should choose sides, that prompted me to ask the question.

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Sell the operation to Al Jazeera and be done with it.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The problem is not that CNN is not opinionated. The problem is that CNN is no longer informative. I regularly watch Fox News for coverage of big events because they do bring information mixed in with the slant.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

www.nakednews.com.

NSFW

::) ::)

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think CNN would be wise to treat their viewers with a bit of respect. But the way they try and act like they are tough on both sides, while adopting the cutsiness of FNC and MSNBC, they fail miserable.
    They do big news stories very well. Which begs the question - why don't they make a particular story THE BIG STORY every day of the week.
    Ditch the gizmos and gadgets, be smarter, get new pundits and hosts that don't have baggage.
    I watched a bit of their coverage of Isaac the other day - who did they have on "reporting?" Sean Penn. All you need to know about CNN.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Full on Libertarian!

Ron Paul in the 8:00PM time slot.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

All CNN needs to do to improve is go to the International feed in the U.S. The difference is startling. But I guess research shows them that Americans ARE morons, 'cause that's there target audience. And they can't even reach it.

11. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

12. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Fire most of the anchors. In the last few days, I've tried watching the network, and it's horrible. They've revived the career of Ashleigh Banfield, for some reason. Carol Costello and Kyra Phillips are awful.

Plus, it seems like they just can't cover breaking news with any competence anymore.

Draft saved Draft deleted