1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should beat writers vote on awards?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by gravehunter, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Arch Ward and the Chicago Tribune invented the MLB All-Star game. Hear much about them lately?

You really have doubts about how a BBWAA vs. MLB showdown would end?

2. Mauve_Avenger

Mauve_Avenger Member

The All Star game and the MVP award are two completely different subjects. Do you honestly think the MLB would try to somehow take over the MVP award?

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

No, they're going to respect the BBWAA's claim to it.

Are you serious? I don't even know if the BBWAA actually "owns" the award. If that happens to be the case, MLB will steamroll the BBWAA into oblivion whenever it wants to. Somebody complained that media people were dressing like slobs, and the BBWAA rolled over and played dead and offered to develop a dress code.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Doth protest too much.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

MLB could create its own MVP award whenever it wanted. Since it never has, we must conclude it doesn't want to. I am surprised MLB hasn't created some kind of offseason People's Choice awards with fan voting, though.

6. Mauve_Avenger

Mauve_Avenger Member

Well obviously you have not read up on the subject, because there are plenty of articles out there saying that the BBWAA created the MVP award and votes on it annually. Also, the dress code you are referring to is for all of the media covering the MLB, which includes a lot more people than just baseball writers.

7. joe king

joe king Active Member

That's true, but what's stopping MLB from creating it's own MVP award and declaring it to be the "official" one?

I'm not saying it will do that, but is there any agreement in place preventing that?

8. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Amen and AMEN!!!

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Clearly, you're not aware of the GIBBYs — which have been around since 2002.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/awards/y2013/gibbys/

10. Mauve_Avenger

Mauve_Avenger Member

I think anyone could create an alternative to MVP. It maybe even could become more popular than MVP, because a lot of criticism is that the BBWAA voters tend to look at old stats (I.E. Triple Crown) over new sabermetrics.

Draft saved Draft deleted