1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

should be sympathy for Duke guys, not Rutgers girls

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by keef spoon, Apr 13, 2007.

1. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Except, perhaps, for the grabbing the girl's head and bashing it, repeatedly, into the side of a stage, or perhaps their posse paralyzing an unsuspecting security guy for life.

Other than that, they're pretty much the same. Yep.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I never got the memo that said "nobody can feel too bad for the guys at Duke."

And neither, apparently, did the millions of other people who have written/posted/spoke out/blogged words of sympathy for them.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Am I still allowed to think the Colin Finnerty is a douchebag? Or can I just feel sorry for David Evans?

Please post the rules so I can adjust my emotions accordingly.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

The Rutgers pity party by all the bed-wetters and self-important people in the media has now lasted about nine days. Not one player on that team was singled out by Imus and nobody would know who the hell they are except, their self-promoting coach and the politically hypocrites that run the university decided to exploit them in the name of publicity....

Meanwhile the Duke players, who will forever be known by some as rapists -- just look at some of the comments on this board -- had their faces and names dragged through the mud for more than a year and have branded racists and all kinds of things, well, they have received about ten minutes of "your free and we were wrong"

It is an absolute disgrace how much publicity and grand standing the Rutgers pity party has received while the Duke players are already an afterthought.

5. All of that is true, if you don't count Dan Abrams carrying the ball for them on MSNBC from jump (He runs that place now, BTW), or the long NYT pieces demolishing the DA's case, or the 60 Minutes feature, or the fact that the entire universe of rightwing talk radio/cable yakkers was behind them all the way.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Bottom line -- They got hosed, but they put themselves in position to get hosed.

The Rutgers players did nothing wrong.

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Give me a break Fenian Bastard. You can't be serious -- these kids have been ripped almost nightly on CNN, CNBC and on ESPN, which by the way has spent how many hours whining about Don Imus in the past week? You haven't been able to watch anything the past nine days without someone whining about how mean Imus was.

There have been very few people with the guts to say the Duke case was what it really is -- political correctness run amok.

Oh and I'm wondering if all of the well intentioned liberal white people are going to rally in front of Sharpton and Jesse Jackson's office to force them to resign for their racist and obviously wrong headed attacks on the white kids from Duke.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

One's a convicted gay basher as well.

Regardless of what sort of people they are, what happened to them is wrong.

And after all this, my initial reaction to my then-paper blowing it up on the sports front with mugs every day has been confirmed, I thought it was a terrible idea, and it has proven to be so.

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I just have a real problem with 'they put themselves in a bad spot, so whatever happened, so be it.' Couldn't I say the same thing about someone who gets hit by a car while corssing the street? Hey, if they wouldn't have tried to cross the street, they wouldn't have gotten smashed by that semi, right?

We're talking rape allegations here. Serious, serious charges. From a party where they decided to have some strippers dance. Something that thousands and thousands of men in this country have done. Something that probably hundreds and hundreds of men on this board have done.

Maybe they were jerks, and there is corrobation to some of the statements they made that night that would clearly indicate as such. But, to say they put themselves in a position to deserve this--too harsh.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I am not saying they deserve it. But they put themselves in a position where a bad outcome was more than likely.

If I had a son who was a Duke lacrosse player, my first reaction would be "What they hell were you guys thinking?" Then I would fight the charges.

If I had a daughter on the Rutgers basketball team, my first reaction would be "What an idiot that Imus is. He should be fired."

11. German Ethel Merman

German Ethel Merman New Member

Resign? From what? As far as I can tell, their entire enterprise is little more than solitary men with a messy apartment which may or may not contain a chicken

Draft saved Draft deleted