1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should archives by behind a paywall?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Illino, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Illino

Illino Member

Do you think newspaper archives should be behind a paywall? My personal opinion is that everything that is more than a year old should be freed up.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You can usually get the archives to a lot of newspapers if you have a library card and run a search of their indexes.

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

This would be the very first thing I'd charge for.

4. Interesting question. From a search-engine standpoint, I'd say putting everything past a year behind a pay wall would drop your overall views by a significant percentage.

What other parameters are we assuming here? Is the newspaper already using a general pay wall with a 15-20 free reads per month?

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It depends, and I'm not being flip, on the following question:

Can a newspaper make money on them by putting them behind a paywall?

If the answer is "yes," they should be behind a paywall.

I'm as frustrated as the next guy when I have to pay for my own old clip, but I definitely understand why.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Keep in mind most newspapers make diddly squat from archives.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Sure, but what's the downside to putting them behind a paywall? Good will? How does it benefit the newspaper to make archives free?

8. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Absolutely right. Information has value.

When your company has a commodity that people not only want, but will actively seek out ... why anyone would give it away is beyond me. Make money where you can, rather than missing the opportunity and then trying to cut your way to profitability.

9. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Mainly because most of them sold their archives to services like Lexus-Nexus for pennies on the dollar, when they could be keeping the revenue entirely for themselves.

10. Glenn Stout

Glenn Stout Member

For most papers, the horse is out of the barn. As someone who uses newspaper archives extensively, and has done so for about two decades, most papers have made their archives available thru third parties (lexus nexus, newsarchive, newslibrary or free thru local libraries, although many PL's have dropped that benefit recently). Outside of a handful of national papers, I really doubt the revenue stream, for archive holdings that go back more than a few recent years, is significant when balanced against the administrative cost. I just wish ProQuest would allow individual a/o a la carte use.

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Administrative cost? Do you not know that we have to maintain the archives anyway for in-house use?

12. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Anyone ever browse through these?

http://news.google.com/newspapers

Unfortunately you need that precise link to get to it. Google will no longer bring up that page when you do a search for the newspaper archives. They're working on phasing it out.

Draft saved Draft deleted