1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shorts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, May 7, 2009.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

If a paper has a dress code, it's usually based on the image it wants to project to the community, not to a small band of out-of-towners who live there for a few months. I don't see much point in dressing up for a press conference where the readers wouldn't see me and dressing less well for a game where they would see me. And again, the appropriateness would vary from town to town. But the opinion of the scrotum-scratching third-base coach is inconsequential.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Fair enough, Frank. My paper has no dress code, for the most part, at least not one that's widely circulated. I guess that has a lot to do with the fact that we exercise common sense. I will say that I wear collared shirts every time I cover said team. So it's not like I'm going to games in t-shirts. There's enough running back and forth between the clubhouse and the press box that in the summer, shorts are just more comfortable.

3. I Digress

I Digress Guest

OK, first of all, many, many men have extremely ugly toes. Second of all, few sounds make me homicidal quicker than a man walking with flip flops smacking the soles of his feet. I don't know why. But that sound makes my skin crawl. Ergo, no man flops!

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

If I'm a member of the "community" and I see a dude show up in a coat and tie to cover an outdoor event during the summer, I'm personally making it my mission to punch that dude in the face.

I thought we got over this "image" shit in junior high.

5. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Get a pair of those short pants that sit halfway down the butt, show the crack and come down to your ankles. That'll fit right in.

6. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

I've often said that a dress code should be simply to look clean and respectable. Nothing wrong with dress shorts and sandals and even a stylish T-shirt. Why would a company reject that but accept a jacket-and-tie code where the guy wears a clip-on circa 1978?

I've covered NFL training camps where it's been 90-plus. None of the reporters look good on those days. But I sure looked better than John Clayton who walked around in a white undershirt and coach shorts until changing for the camera.

7. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I live in South Mississippi, where we have six months (or more) of brutal summer weather, and my feeling is that when the schools start banning shorts (even the ones that make the kids wear unis allow shorts), then I might consider a ban on shorts for late spring/summer/early fall events.

And I might be in the minority here, but I don't have a problem with wearing decent T-shirts (i.e. no holes anywhere and no inappropriate signage on the front or back) to a high-school game. I am not a polo shirt person. As far as footwear, I wear tennis shoes with foot socks, but I don't have a problem with a decent pair of sandals. I draw the line at flip-flops.

8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

My hatred of the step-Slap! is gender-neutral.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

You'd be the guy wearing the orange jumpsuit after that.

10. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

She's worried about what people are wearing while they're filing from home? That's insane.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I've done teleconferences from my home office wearing:
    • a nice shirt, ironed and buttoned up;
    • a nice tie, properly tied;
    • board shorts (dry, not wet) or jean shorts, and
    • my trusty Quiksilver flip-flops.

Webcams' field of view ain't all that much, but how would your coworker have felt about that? :D

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Yes -- if you are covering Bermuda High Cricket match

Draft saved Draft deleted