1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shorts at the WCWS?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CCaple, May 28, 2009.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I'd wear shorts and sandals. Big deal.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sandals to cover an event? Never. Dress comfortable to a point, but if you're going to go as a representative of your shop, showing your feet is not the way to go.

3. The Granny

The Granny Guest

But my feet are sexy.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Hard to disagree with that, although I'd say it depends on the event. Generally, though, that's probably not a terrible policy. I'm sure it's one I've broken a time or two.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

My experience in covering women's sports (many years ago, granted) is that while some seem oblivious to media attention and some are grateful for any media attention at all, there is a good-sized portion that looks very closely for any sign that a male reporter does not take them seriously as athletes and is annoyed to be assigned to their event. You get more cooperation by showing respect, and that includes appearing professional as well as being professional.

A highlight of my time covering women's sports was watching another male reporter throw a fit at courtside right before the game started (he had arrived only moments earlier) because he didn't like his seating assignment by the team or the fact that his paper had sent him to such a lowly event. Obviously, the players pegged the guy as an asshole and didn't care how huge his paper's circulation was, they weren't talking to him after the game. It was hilarious.

6. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Frank, great points and post.

7. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

If the team I covered all season had made it to the WCWS, I would have worn shorts.

I covered regionals and the first day I showed up in my usual attire of polo and slacks and noticed every single member of the sports information staff, every single radio guy, every single TV guy and every other reporter in the press box was wearing shorts. The next two days, I wore shorts with my polo. I would never do the sandal thing, but I don't have a problem with shorts at an outdoor/hot event, as long as you still look professional.

I'm trying to remember if I wore shorts at some point during my trips to Omaha, as well. I went there three or four times and spent anywhere from 3-10 days there, so I'm sure I wore shorts at some point during the event.

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

It's not terrible advice, if you want to err on the side of caution. But seriously, nobody at the event cares. Not the players. Not the fans. Not the SIDs.

My rule of thumb: Just dress how people dress. If you don't look out of place, you're cool.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Serious question: I'm a sandals/birks fan, that much is known. I would not wear them to a game, assignment, etc., but am genuinely curious - why are women's feet OK and men's feet not OK? No one questions a women wearing sandals or open-toed shoes.

10. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

As long as you aren't a male in a sleeveless muscle shirt - without muscles - like one hack I know there right now did once, you're ok by me. :)

RB

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Same hack who covered an early season tourney four years ago involving the same team with a huge skid mark on the outside rear of his khakis?

12. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

10-4. Oh, how I don't miss *those* conversations.

RB

Draft saved Draft deleted