1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shopping Horror Stories

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HeinekenMan, Jun 13, 2006.

1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I'm in the process of a writing a book, and I'm looking for a few anecdotes.

Specifically, I'm focusing on the shoddy craftsmanship that goes into today's products. This would cover everything from the bubble packs that nobody seems capable of opening without a jack hammer to the many cheap things sold at Wal-Mart that tend to break a few weeks after you have them.

Anything along those lines would be greatly appreciated.

I will credit those whose anecdotes are recanted in the book, but there won't be any royalties checks in your future. Sorry.

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Bubbler, bring back your wal-mart thread. It'll polish off his book in no time flat

3. HeinekenMan

LOL. I was thinking of that when I posted this. But I'm more interested in stories about shitty products.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Virtually every non-metal watch band in existence in the U.S. breaks entirely too quickly. I have a real beef with this because I go through watches quickly.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Who ever came up with the hard plastic bubblewrap that all small electronics come in today should be taken out and shot.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

I've probably gone through five Nike watches in the past five years. The band broke on four of them.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

And water-resistant watches that have no chance of resisting water. It ought to be mandatory that all watches sold in the U.S., even those funky kiddie watches, be waterPROOF, not water resistant.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I always cut myself on that crap. I dispise it.

And yes, I'm really clumsy, which is why I cut myself on it all the damned time.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Do Nike watches use traditional pin attachments to the band? If so, try one of these...

http://www.ekusa.com/item/23.16.301/

Or these...

http://www.kavu.com/store/pc/mac_viewPrd.asp?idcategory=5&idproduct=1379

10. HeinekenMan

I actually have a nice chapter on plastic bubble packaging. It even mentions that there's a very real chance that you'll break the thing you're trying to reach before you are able to remove it from the packaging.

Thanks for the watch-related posts. I haven't worn a watch since junior high. But they are certainly worth mentioning. In fact, you have given me an idea for an entire chapter on items that you can purchase near the registers. They always seem to sell the cheapest crap on the planet in these areas. That would include cheap watches, cheap sunglasses (Oh, do sing it for me), cheap calculators and thermometers. I'd definitely put thermometers in the chapter with watches. Actually, I think I'll design the chapter around measuring devices. That would incorporate calculators, watches and thermometers.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I thought this was a thread about shoe shopping with your girlfriend.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

People still wear watches?

Between spending all my time on a computer and carrying a cell phone with me, I doubt I'll ever wear one again. Plus, I'm allergic to the metal on the back. Kid you not. Last time I wore a watch I had a rash (ON TOP OF MY WRIST PEOPLE!!!) for months afterward.

Draft saved Draft deleted