1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shooting at Va. Tech

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by imjustagirl2, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Re: Another shooting at Va. Tech

How's that work? Is it a outdoor horn-type thing?

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Is there a siren or whistle for emergency situations?

Do buildings have emergency P.A. systems?

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

They didn't go into that much detail.

4. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

Yeah, you could hear it in the background during one of the early CNN reports...I think it was just a voice saying over and over, stay inside, away from windows, lock your doors...

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I imagine they want to make sure that if there was more than one, that person wasn't allowed to walk away.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Student on phone with CNN said they could hear the outdoor speaker system giving that warning.

7. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I don't know. There are reports of one person being arrested and another one being dead. There may have been two shooters.

As much as I hate to agree with Boots, he's right. There should have been a complete lockdown until everything was settled. Some people messed up. They shouldn't be crucified for it, because I'm sure they were doing the best they could, but that doesn't negate the fact that some errors were probably made.

8. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

You're right, it'd be impossible to tell everyone, but word travels damn fast around a college campus too, especially now that everyone would have a cell phone. It shouldn't be very hard to tell everyone in a dorm, if you had the guy in charge of each floor go knocking on doors, and it wouldn't take very long to tell every greek house either, just one phone call. Beyond that, I don't know ... I'd imagine there are several big apartment sets that house mostly students and word could spread around pretty quickly there too. Maybe put cops at all the regular entry points for the campus and in the parking lots for those walking or driving. Again, you'd have thousands of students call each other to make sure everyone knew too.

I'm sure you couldn't get ahold of everyone, but I'd think within an hour, you could at least tell 60-75% of the people not to come, and have the rest turned away at parking lots or crosswalks.

But at this point, we have no idea what happened, so it seems a little silly to try and guess. Maybe they had reason to believe the first shooting was a one-time deal, just a plain old murder. That sounds stupid too though ... I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

9. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Holy shit. Now I feel bad that my first reax was a Marcus Vick snicker. Prayers for the vics.

10. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I made a similar stupid blunder when first told of an airplane flying into the World Trade Center. Of course the guy that relayed the story to me initially said "plane" not "huge friggen jet" so it pretty much was all his fault.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

This school had a killer on it's campus earlier this year. What the red flag for me is how did this many people die?

You would think an emergency action plan of some sort should have gone into effect once this started. If these shooters were able to move from building to building then I will guarantee that someone's ass is on the line right now. Trust me, the "why the hell weren't we ready for this?" question will be asked to someone in the next few days and they better have a damn good answer.

Oh, do you think Nifong and Imus are glad they are off the front page?

12. boots

boots New Member

I realize getting information to everyone at that time of day is difficult. However, especially in the wake of columbine and 911, lockdown procedures are supposed to be in effect. I wasn't there but it would appear there was a breakdown in communicating the information somewhere.

Draft saved Draft deleted