1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shooting at University of Alabama-Huntsville

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Did I miss this elsewhere? Three dead.

http://tinyurl.com/yhxrsmq

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

First thing that went into my mind when reading about the suspect.

Damn Title IX.

3. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

I spent some time in school there. Many of my HS classmates went there, and some of them knew the shooter and victims. Strange day to say the least.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Older daughter sometimes teaches a class over there. First thing I did was call her, make sure she was OK. She was; didn't even know there had been any trouble.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

And wasn't it about a week ago that some middle school kid just outside H'ville popped another kid in the head?

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Yep. The victim later died.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Gang wannabees...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Huntsville Times has been all over this. Now reporting that the shooter was recently denied tenure by the university.

To those who don't know, Huntsville is the home to the NASA Space and Rocket Center, so there's a pretty well-developed science community in the area. Obviously, when you get that many super-intelligent people together, there's going to be all kind of professional jealousy going on.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

When I lived in Bama, we visited Huntsville quite a bit. Loved it over there. Very nice town. I'd live there if it weren't in Alabama. :)

10. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

The AOL site, where I check e-mail, continues since this afternoon to headline it:
    Deadly shooting at University of Alabama
    I know, I know ... it's in the UofA chain.
    But, damn!
    That's misleading as hell.

Condolences and best wishes to all involved.
    Carry on

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ms. Slappy noticed that too -- and it pissed her off just as much.

12. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

A friend from Huntsville says the CBS affiliate up there caught footage of the shooter as she was being led to the county jail tonight.

Says she looked into the camera and said something "This didn't happen. No one's dead ... They're still alive."

He added she was wearing blue jeans when arrested. Odd for someone supposedly attending a biology department meeting.

Campus has been closed until Feb. 19.

Draft saved Draft deleted