1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shooting at Muhammad cartoon contest in Texas

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, May 3, 2015.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Isn't the point that the event, in a multicultural society like America, should not be provocative, and that unless, and until, that is understood, we are giving a small minority the ability to censor speech, activities, art, etc.

What should the response of a free people be to such a situation?

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

There must have been some reason to write something so dumb?

3. YankeeFan

Newspapers and other media refused to show the Charlie Hebdo cartoons, despite their newsworthiness.

PENN awards Charlie Hebdo their Freedom of Expression Courage Award, and writers protest the decision.

Is it any wonder that some folks think they need to take provocative actions to reverse this cowardice?

And, if you disagree, then let me know what rights you're willing to give up next so as to not offend our Muslim neighbors.

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this doesn't garner any serious responses.

5. YankeeFan

Alternate headline: Good guys with guns stop bad guys with guns.

6. Mr. Sunshine

Political correctness > freedom

7. Mr. Sunshine

You've got that backwards. #cranberry

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If this were an art competition or display that contained one controversial Muhammad depiction but organizers felt strongly about keeping it in, that would be one thing. And a brave protection of free speech.

This, however, is on par with the loony in Gainesville, Fla., wanting to burn all the Qurans. It only exists to be provocative and they seem to think all Muslims are violent extremists.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Yes. That should be the point, but you and I both know that isn't the way the world works in 2015.

This event - in picking something considered blasphemous by an entire religion whose extremists have a long and glorious history of inciting violence and chaos because of acts they deem blasphemous - was about provocation and dick-swinging as much as it was a political statement on free speech. The cynic in me might even say that was the specific intent, because more bloodshed thusly brings more attention.

So, we're at war against jihadists. I don't have all the answers, but never in the history of war strategy included noncombatants needlessly provoking the enemy into more violence.

10. Mr. Sunshine

We must protect freedom of expression in order to shame people into not exercising it.

11. Mr. Sunshine

Pretty sure it's not good war strategy to bend over backwards never to anger your enemy.

old_tony likes this.
  12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Absolutely. I will defend freedom of expression and exercise my freedom of expression to denounce people who use it to hurt others.

Draft saved Draft deleted