1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shooting at KC Chiefs facility

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 1, 2012.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If they move it, it will only be until Monday or Tuesday.

2. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

I have a problem with a team completely removed from the situation that's worked together for an entire offseason and season missing the playoffs because of a canceled game due to one guy on another team flipping shit. I'm aware of how that may come off to some people, but I don't think it's right.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Life-goes-on people, you all stand over there.

Those with easily offended sensibilities, over in that corner.

At the count of 3, run into each other.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

What if he had died in his sleep last night?

What if he had been killed in an auto accident on the way to the stadium?

What if he had been killed in a drive-by shooting on the way to the Chiefs' facility?

What if he had been killed in a drive-by shooting at the Chiefs' facility, witnessed by a couple of staff members.

Exactly where does the play the game/cancel the game line need to be drawn?

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

All good questions, BTE.

Grief is weird. I could have played a game or gone to work a day after my dad died. A week later? No. But a day later? Yeah probably.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Next man up.

NFL motto.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I think some of us have too quick an empathy reflex.

If this guy took his girlfriend's life and then took his own life, I'm really not too sure I want to feel too much about it.

I know this does offend some people, but here it is. I wouldn't have known the guy to trip over him. Why am I going to take time to grieve over him?

And for all some of you know, the Carolina Panthers may not have known the guy to trip over him either. And maybe a lot of the Kansas City Chiefs really didn't "know" him much. You just don't know.

8. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Absolutely. People deal with grief differently. Someone made the crass "Show must go on, He would have wanted them to play" remark earlier, but for many, the normalcy of actually playing a game is what helps get them through that grief. It has nothing to do with the whole "show must go on mentality."

The game won't be cancelled. I can see it being postponned or even played as schedule, but there are too many complicating matters to just cancel it.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

To piggyback on what YF and LTL are saying, if this game is postponed, it will only be for a day or two. I bet if that's the case, it will be much more difficult for the Chiefs to play if they have a couple of days to dwell on this. I think it's almost the "healthy" alternative to play the game tomorrow.

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I don't think there are many who feel a lot of sympathy for Belcher, the bigger issue is for the coaches and other staff/players who watched a friend/colleague blow his brains out in front of them. He wasn't some nobody, some walk on free agent that had been with the team for a couple of months, he had been with the team since 2009 and was a starting linebacker. Pretty safe to say he has established some serious relationships in that lockerroom. That happens in any other work place and they flood it grief councellors. I don't care who you are, that's a damn traumatic experience. That's where there needs to be some empathy or humanity shown.

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Yeah, if I were a player, I think I'd want to play, if only as a means of taking your mind off things. Sitting around and stewing about it won't be helpful in my experience. Dealing in recent years with the deaths of several close family members, I know I found work to be a refuge. Keeping busy and all that.

There's no road map for things like this, though. As said by others, I could see them postponing it for a few days, but definitely not cancelling altogether.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Like usual you add absolutely nothing to the topic at hand.

Draft saved Draft deleted