1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shoes (paging Frank Ridgeway)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wickedwritah, Aug 28, 2007.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Johnston and Murphy's suck ass.
    For under $200 you can get a pair of Cole Haan Nike Airs.
    I have a pair and they are best dress shoes I have ever owned.
    A polished black that goes with suits to khakis to jeans.
    And some damn comfortable you won't think they are dress shoes and they aren't since they are cushioned like running shoes.
    They also make them where the air capsule is covered and you can't tell what they are.
    Mine cost $150 before tax at Dillard's and just about any good department store will sell them. I was at Parisian (Macy's?) last week to get a haircut and I saw some on sale for $100, but they didn't have my size.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Do they only come in black, Jay?

3. JayFarrar

Black, brown, pretty much every color.
    Don't order them online, they'll be more expensive. Head to the mall and hit the nicer department store, i.e. not Penney's like a Dillard's or your local version and see what they got.
    I only bought the polished black so I could wear them suits. They are that dressy, but so comfortable. These are the only kind of dress shoes I'll buy from now on.
    Plus they are Cole Haan's, so they'll last forever.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Thanks, Jay, we may have a winner.

5. JayFarrar

[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006MZZO8/ref=olp_product_details/104-8128095-9378305?ie=UTF8&seller=

$115 on amazon now, and this is the black and brown.

[​IMG]

These are the ones I have and so comfortable, I just might go find them and wear them around the house. Like slippers.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I have some Cole Haan Nike Airs and agree that they are ridiculously comfortable. Won't pay full price but you can find sales in a lot of places.

I also have a pair of Rockport wing tips that look like normal wing tips up top but have one of those cushioned type soles. They're perfect for when you have to wear dressier stuff in less than ideal dressy situations (like being on the sidelines). Clean easily, too.

Birkenstocks - yes, birks - makes a similiar type of shoe but it pushes 300 bones.

You can also go somewhere that sells Docs and get your size, then check eBay. Doc Martens has a series of wing tips that are also A+ in comfort. Before I became a certified shoe whore, I had one pair that I wore with everything save the funeral suit. Great for travel.

Zappos gets your shoes to you about 20 minutes after you order, has a great return policy and now and then has excellent sales.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

There's also these:

[​IMG]

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I haven't bought a pair of Johnston and Murphys in a long time, but damn, $45 to $75 sounds either way too cheap or fake. The ones I know of would cost $200 to $300... At least the dress-up lace ones I own have a solid wooden sole and were handmade. Do they have cheaper lines of shoes that I have no clue about? And I wouldn't recommend buying the ones I am thinking about to walk a sideline... I'd wear them with your most conservative suit.

I rarely wear regular shoes--especially since I went on an anti-leather kick and only will wear leather shoes when everything else is absolutely inappropriate--but I have had pretty good luck at Banana Republic, of all places, for regular lace-up dress/casual shoes. They have a lace-up, regular black oxford shoe that costs about $125 to $150 if I remember correctly and the suckers hold up pretty well. I have owned a few pairs.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I HIGHLY recommend the Cole Haan Nike Airs, too. And this is a good price.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Try Geox. The most comfortable shoe that I've ever worn and I've tried a lot because I have bad feet from hoops. I've worn their casual shoes for a couple of years and they came out with more formal shoes about a year ago.

I have a pair of loafers and lace up shoes which work with a suit. I paid about $100 for the loafers and $160 for the dress shoes.

11. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

After reading your comment, I went back on eBay and checked. When I got a job that required wearing a suit every day, I got three pairs of J&M shoes from this buyer, didn't pay more than $55 for any of them. That was about 4-5 months ago. Now he is no longer a seller, and from the looks of his feedback, left many of his final customers in a lurch. Maybe they were hot shoes.

12. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I'd love to find comfortable shoes, but have never been lucky (or had much patience shopping for them).

I was born with some weird deal where my pinky toe is permanently lying on top of the adjacent toe (kind of like I was crossing fingers).

TMI, I know. But if there are any foot experts out there, is there a name for this?

Draft saved Draft deleted