1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shocking, shocking: Leyland blows cork at media

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Starman, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Amazingly enough, this didn't make it into any of the fanboy/puppy-dog beat stories after the Tigers' 10-0 annihilation by the White Sox Thursday, but it was amusing just the same.

A local TV reporter asked Leyland about the play in which Sean Casey was thrown out at first by the left fielder. (Casey hits liner over the head of Joe Crede at 3B. Crede leaps for it, Casey thinks he caught it, and so heads back toward the dugout. In fact, the ball went into left. Casey is thrown out at first.)

Leyland turns half-apopleptic, says he "isn't even going to dignify the question," then adds "anybody who's ever seen a game of baseball in their life" isn't going to ask that question, then mutters some stuff about "the media out to get us," blah blah.

Undoubtedly the veterans of Mr. Warmth-and-Tactfulness Leyland from Pittsburgh, Florida and Colorado can recall a few similar episodes. :eek:

I guess if I'd been fellated nonstop by the media for 125 games and all of a sudden it started to slack off, I'd think they were out to get me too. :D :D

2. pallister

pallister Guest

That annihilation was the other way around.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Fixed. Annihilation BY the White Sox.

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Leyland should still be AL Manager of the Year.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You know baseball has made it back when The Dwarf finally starts goin g to Tiger games. It's only taken him until August...

6. Ah, slapster --
    Nice to see the server trouble didn't take the edge off one of SportsJournalists.com's trademark obsessions.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Coming from you someone who pops a nut when Dubya sneezes to his right I take that as a compliment... ne'ertheless, it still doesnt change the fact that he didnt discover Tiger baseball until August 1..

8. Dammit, slap, I'm on your side. I was just joshing.
    Also, I am not in the least surprised by what you say. Has he gone to a game with Stevie Y and Joe Dumars yet? Those are always my favorite columns.
    See, you're not the only obsessive.

9. boots

boots New Member

Jimmy Leyland is a good guy. Yeah be blows up, but he also apologizes. He is human. He cares about his team and his players. Generally speaking, its hard to find a manager who is as open as Jimbo.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Oh, I knew you were... forgot how to use the smileys function since the site crashed

11. The format ate my smileys!

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

And, of course, no sports journalist has ever asked a legitimately stupid question. ::)

Draft saved Draft deleted