1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shocking Michael J. Fox Ad in MO Senate Race

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Deeper_Background, Oct 24, 2006.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I never said Fox did or didn't stop taking his meds. I'm just waiting for proof that he did.

Not "He musta 'cause I saw him on a TV show and he was fine" or "He said he did one other time"

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

More right wing bullshit.

Cutting off government funding for a programme such as stem-cell research is the coward's way of banning it without having the balls to come out and say you're against it; otherwise, it'll alienate your loonie evangelical crowd

3. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

FWIW, I remember Fox doing a filmed bit in the Denis Leary roast, and the one thing I remember was seeing him shaking a little bit during his monologue. That was, what, a year to year and a half, ago?

4. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

He never moved around THAT dramatically on Boston Legal.

5. So without government funding, nothing can be accomplished? Maybe in your country, but not here.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I was waiting for Lyman to show up. Like fuckin' clockwork.

I don't have the time or patience to explain to you the proper role of government in scientific research.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

You mean you don't have the time or patience to seriously consider another viewpoint, then respond like a grown-up. It's simply easier to rip the person who disagrees with you, disparage their opinion and insult them personally, rather than engage in a mature give-and-take.

Of course every scientist and artist out there would love to get some fat government funding. But Michealangelo, Andrew Wythe, Louis Pasteur and the Mayo Brothers seemed to do quite well without it.

8. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

The expense and the failure rate of stem cell research makes it nearly impossible to establish a workable number of lines without the financing that would come from government assistance.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Michelangelo was paid by a government (the Vatican) for painting the Sistine Chapel. But don't let facts get in your way.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

That was hardly the sum total of his life's work, both artistically and scientifically.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Failure rate? Wow. Are you admitting this might not be the cure to all human ills?

12. JackS

JackS Member

Amen to Lyman and Hondo.

I'm still waiting for JR's answer to how much government funding Banting and Best got too.

Draft saved Draft deleted