1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shocking Michael J. Fox Ad in MO Senate Race

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Deeper_Background, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Here is a controversial new commercial on stem cell research featuring Michael J. Fox. The commercial was paid for by Democrat Claire McCaskill in Missouri. The commercial has upset some people, because they think his disability should not be used to promote her candidacy.

I really don’t know what to say. It’s his choice and he wants to use his voice to promote something that he thinks will benefit him in the future. I'ts just so sad at what happened to him!

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

A week late again. What else is new!

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I imagine some Missourians will be most upset about his use of "Mizzura."

4. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

And allegedly Rush Limbaugh said that he has to be faking it.

5. Nothing alleged about it.
    http://mediamatters.org/items/200610240001
    Fat junkie sex-tourist weighs in.
    Here's more:
    http://www.tnr.com/blog/theplank?pid=51219

6. ogre

ogre Member

Fox did a similar add in Illinois. Just saw it while at the health club today. Not sure why a Canadian is lobbying in on a American political race. Did he become an American?

7. Deeper_Background

On the October 23 edition of his nationally syndicated radio program, Rush Limbaugh accused actor Michael J. Fox, who has Parkinson's disease, of "exaggerating the effects of the disease" in a recent campaign advertisement for Missouri Democratic Senate candidate Claire McCaskill. In the ad, Fox endorses McCaskill for supporting embryonic stem cell research, which her opponent, incumbent Republican Sen. Jim Talent, opposes. Noting that Fox is "moving all around and shaking" in the ad, Limbaugh declared: "And it's purely an act. This is the only time I have ever seen Michael J. Fox portray any of the symptoms of the disease he has." Limbaugh added that "this is really shameless of Michael J. Fox. Either he didn't take his medication or he's acting, one of the two."

Later in the broadcast, Limbaugh stated that "I will bigly, hugely admit that I was wrong, and I will apologize to Michael J. Fox if I am wrong in characterizing his behavior on this commercial as an act, especially since people are telling me they have seen him this way on other interviews and in other television appearances." However, Limbaugh then returned to criticizing Fox, stating that "Michael J. Fox is using his illness as a way to mislead voters into thinking that their vote for a single United States senator has a direct impact on stem cell research in Missouri. It doesn't, and it won't."

According to Talkers magazine, The Rush Limbaugh Show reaches more than 13.5 million listeners each week, the largest talk-radio audience in the nation. Vice President Dick Cheney has made several appearances on the program, most recently on October 17.

From the October 23 edition of Premiere Radio Networks' The Rush Limbaugh Show:

LIMBAUGH: You need to see this. It's a spot running in St. Louis during World Series games, bought and paid for and approved by the Democrat [sic] Senate candidate, Claire McCaskill. Now, I want you to listen to this. This is Michael J. Fox, aired during a World Series game, and I will describe for you what he's doing in this commercial after you've heard it.

[begin audio clip]

FOX: As you might know, I care deeply about stem cell research. In Missouri, you can elect Claire McCaskill, who shares my hope for cures. Unfortunately, Senator Jim Talent opposes expanding stem cell research. Senator Talent even wanted to criminalize the science that gives us the chance for hope. They say all politics is local, but that's not always the case. What you do in Missouri matters to millions of Americans, Americans like me.

McCASKILL: I'm Claire McCaskill, and I approve this message.

[end audio clip]

LIMBAUGH: Now, this is Michael J. Fox. He's got Parkinson's disease. And in this commercial, he is exaggerating the effects of the disease. He is moving all around and shaking. And it's purely an act. This is the only time I have ever seen Michael J. Fox portray any of the symptoms of the disease he has. I know he's got it and he's raising money for it, but when I've seen him in public, I've never seen him betray any of the symptoms. But this commercial, he -- he's just all over the place. He can barely control himself. He can control himself enough to stay in the frame of the picture, and he can control himself enough to keep his eyes right on the lens, the teleprompter. But his head and shoulders are moving all over the place, and he is acting like his disease is deteriorating because Jim Talent opposes research that would help him, Michael J. Fox, get cured. Jim Talent does not oppose stem cell research, he opposes fetal stem cell research but not adult. But this is reminiscent, and I don't have time -- yes, I do.

LIMBAUGH: And I think, didn't he even say -- they said it at a debate. I don't know if he said it at a convention. So this is really shameless, folks, this is really shameless of Michael J. Fox. Either he didn't take his medication or he's acting, one of the two.

I think, and if I may be blatantly honest, brazenly so, I think this is much more offensive than Hillary [Rodham Clinton]'s Senate opponent implying that she is ugly. Michael J. Fox is allowing his illness to be exploited, and in the process is shilling for a Democrat [sic] politician. And in the process of doing that, creating an impression, like John Edwards tried to do, that is not reality. Michael J. Fox is using his illness as a way to mislead voters into thinking that their vote for a single United States senator has a direct impact on stem cell research in Missouri. It doesn't, and it won't.

So Mr. Fox is using his illness as another tactic to try to secure the election of a Democrat [sic] senator by implying that with her election, that we'll be on the road to stem cell research her opponent opposes, and people who suffer from Parkinson's http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/41995/Rush_Limbaugh_accuses_Michael_J_Fox_of_faking_Parkinson_disease, as he does, will have a cure. Now, I just -- you know, it's a negative ad.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Gawd, Rush is an idiot and Ogre, you're not running far behind.

"lobbying in on..." Trying to pry those metaphors apart would probably be like getting the Oxy bottle out of Rush's fat fucking hands.

9. Deeper_Background

He covers both bases, Missoureeee in the first part of the ad and Missourahhhh! at the end for the close. Very cagey those Canucks

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

When is Rush going to learn it's "Democratic" candidate, not "Democrat"?

I didn't realise they still let him on radio.

11. Deeper_Background

Rush was on painkillers, he can't be held responsible for what he says.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Rush is a genius and a closet liberal.

He's just tellin' his folks like it ain't.

Draft saved Draft deleted