1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shocker + team photo= trouble

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Slash, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Slash

Slash Member

http://www.carrollspaper.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&SubSectionID=19&ArticleID=4528&TM=43465.88

How about this quote

"It was a gesture," he said. "These kids did a gesture. You can take it any way you want to take it. ...I will tell you, that it was not my son's intention to promote somebody's finger going up somebody's vagina. He did not have that intention, Mr. Haluska."

2. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

This is not a DB. It's a major update. I know I would have missed it if it was added to the original thread.

I am glad the school board didn't cave completely, but I think the punishment was pretty damned mild anyway.

It's disrespect, no matter what the gesture is.

3. Slash

Slash Member

Sorry, hadnt been on in ahwile and didnt see the other thread. This is the original story printed in the local paper. An Omaha sportswriter picked it up and quoted the GM of the paper, who I know and respect and stand by her decison to blur the pics. If you dont run the photo, then you cheat the other kids that did it the right way. A good lesson for everybody to keep your hands on your lap with no cute stuff.

4. KP

KP Active Member

Couple of real gems in there.

This father is a gem.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Disagree. The paper went way too far in blurring the photo, assigning blame to the kids who made gestures and running it.

They should have kept their yaps shut, taken another photo or left it out.

So a boring team photo with four kids blurred out and accompanying, scolding text is gonna be a treasured keepasake?

6. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Why the hell is J.J. Redick taking credit for this?

Hell, my buddies and I were doing that as early as 2000, and I don't think we were the first.

EDIT: I meant doing the gesture, not actually participating in the act.

7. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

OK, mea culpa.

I thought that was a recent story.

My bad.

8. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Billy,
    This is a recent story. It said in that story that J.J. Redick, in part, made it popular.

I was just pointing out that I doubt he had much to do with it.

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I think we have our winner for most delusional parent of the week.

"Sure, Dad. Much like any American, testosterone fueld male teenager, I have absolutely no interest or inclination to work the shocker on Cindy Cheerleader."

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think pops is being clever. Notice he left the "shocking" part out of the shocker.

No, junior wasn't going for one finger -- he was promoting double dipping!

11. Slash

Slash Member

We in the biz think these are boring, but this paper has run these photos for decades. It’s tradition. They run team photos of all the teams in all sports from Jr Hight to JV to varsity. You produce a product for your readers. The mommas and daddies like seeing their kids’ names and pics in there, so they run them. It isn’t as easy as just not running it. It was going to run with the preview, and people expected it. It may have lost its luster now that there are some blurs, but the photo will end up in a lot of kids’ scrapbooks just the same.

The bottom line is, the kids did something stupid. Something they knew they shouldn’t do. When you do something like that, you pay the price. The paper has its readers to think about and shouldn’t have to pamper a couple of troublemakers.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Perhaps you do have to pay the price, but the paper should be reporting on the players paying the price rather than instigating it.

Draft saved Draft deleted