1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SHOCKER!: Knoxville (alleged) shooter a fan of Fox News.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Jul 29, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Looks like Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity are getting the Jodie Foster treatment from the Tennessee scumbag who (allegedly) killed a couple people in Knoxville Sunday. Sounds like it was a hate crime targeting church members and yet, I'm not hearing much from the traditionalists at FNC, nor the rest of the MSM. Seems like that Colorado Springs church shooting was given bigger play. Am I wrong?

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2008/jul/28/church-shooting-police-find-manifesto-suspect

2. Having been raised as a Unitarian, this incident is particularly distressing to me.

I know nothing of this particular church other than what has been printed in the various news accounts of the shooting. However, my experience in numerous Unitarian churches had been that they are primarily focused on "liberal" causes such as local food drives for the needy and care the elderly.

If supporting equal rights and working to end discrimination is what motivates this type of hatred, we really are in bad shape.

As to the alleged shooter reading material, I have no way of knowing how much it influenced his actions. But it only reinforces how much of what passes for political discourse is really just demonizing the opposition.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

And Hitler loved dogs. So what? The guy was a nutjob. Couldn't wait to paint this with a brush as broad as the freaking Great Plains, could you?

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Pot, kettle. Kettle, pot.

5. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

I'm not saying I agree with the initial post, but ...

If the politics in this situation were reversed, someone would have posted that this is "another example of love and tolerance from the left."

Because it's been done here before.

And the propensity of one poster in particular to lecture others on conduct he engages in so transparently continues to be one of the most remarkable dynamics of this entire board.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Thought you bought out and closed the broad brush store, did you?

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He was also probably a Vols fan.

8. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Joe, I apologize if this comes off as too preachy...

I don't know Hondo. I don't know if Hondo is the poster to whom you refer.

But...

Perhaps the other side of these daily pissing matches could decide to be bigger, more mature?

I'm sure it makes the blood boil when members of the right pull out a news item and use it to attack the left with a broad brush.

I'm sure the members of the right feel the same way when the roles are reversed.

But anyone on either side who turns around and uses the same boring tactic to respond is no better than the other side, no matter how many times they respond with:

Well, he/she did it first.

In this case, it has been reported that the guy didn't care too much for Christians and his wife (Ex?) just because.

That sounds more generic nut case than religious zealot, does it not?

9. Mizzougrad96

You know I've yet to see any of the conservatives on this board start something that said,

"Man opens fire on bank, also loves Al Franken."

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So you're saying that liberals don't become crazed killers?

11. Mizzougrad96

Jeffrey Dahmer was a registered democrat.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, sure. Democrats are juicer than Republicans.

Draft saved Draft deleted