1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shirley to Haiti: 'Use a condom!'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ifilus, Jan 27, 2010.

1. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

The U.S. has a sorry history of supporting not just Haitian dictators like Papa and Baby Doc, but other Latin American and Caribbean dictators over the years. And Bush 41 stood by while a military junta overthrew the democratically elected government.

So you don't get all offended at someone quoting ancient history, those events occurred within the last 50 years. Maybe if we hadn't enabled Papa Dc and Baby Doc to plunder their country for decades, Haiti would be in a bit better shape today.

The fact that you're the only person on this thread defending this idiot should give you some kind of clue. But it probably doesn't.

It's not really that hard. Turn off Rush, pick up a book or two, get some facts and come back and see us, ok?

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Guaranteeing he'll have a radio show by Friday.

3. SigR

SigR Member

I've always loved how these boards are rife with individuals who find it easier to attack the person behind the idea than the idea itself.

Beyond the immediate necessities of a humanitarian crisis in Haiti, what is a dollar really going to buy them in the long run? They were satisfied living in squalor. They are satisfied in overpopulating and stripping the land of its resources. They are satisfied in electing / being ruled by governments who do not represent the people. If that dollar is used to put a roof over their head, isn't that roof going to collapse on them again the next time? How do you help a nation that is so profoundly backwards?

To Rebuild implies that you want to re-create what previously existed. Why would we want to see that happen? It makes no sense except in fairy-tale la-la land of those who are political-minded and those who are too dumb or stubborn to grasp the bigger picture.

In the long run, the best thing that foreign countries could do for Haiti is help them out for a few months with the humanitarian crisis (making sure everyone gets food and water and basic medicine), then use the rest of the funds/efforts to periodically flood the streets with condoms and birth control pills. And tell every last Christian Missionary to f- off.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Because they are human beings, and as such many of us believe they have the right to both basic living standards and self-determination, even if they will just mess it up again.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Don't listen to Rush, read more books than you think and have enough facts, thank you. Unfortunately to you, they're just not the facts you want to hear.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

It's gonna buy saved lives, and provide shelter and food for folks rendered starving and homeless by an epic natural disaster. Is that not enough? I don't think "the long run" is the proper focus when it comes to disaster relief.

I get the point about Haiti's problems resulting to an extent from it's own practices. It doesn't make sense for that country to have such a high birthrate. But I don't get the connection between that and providing disaster relief. They're seperate issues that have no business being linked. Haiti's birth rate and internal corruption didn't cause the earthquake, and depriving aid ain't gonna do anything to solve those problems.

7. fishhack2009

Well, as a conservative saint once said, facts are stupid things.

Maybe since you've read so many books, you can describe for us the role of the successive Duvalier regimes in Haitian history, and how that history of brutal oppression may have played a role in Haiti's chronic troubles.

8. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

Considering that the only piece I recall from his ESPN stint was one that argued that The Beatles were enormously overrated, moonlighting as a music critic seems like a promising career move for him...

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I never questioned the role that those two nimrods played in damaging their country. But since Papa Doc died in 1971 and his son only lasted another 15 years to 1986, I'd say it's time to quit blaming the past for the present and the future. At the very least, it's not going to do any good. And it's not a lack of money. According to the Wall Street Journal, Haiti received more than $700 million in foreign aid in 2007.

10. Cousin Oliver

Cousin Oliver New Member

It's funny how some people's Christian values fade in and out.

11. fishhack2009

Maybe if we hadn't supported the two nimrods at the expense of the Haitian people for decades, they'd be a bit further down the road.

Just a thought.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Just curious, but ... What is the statute of limitations for "Hey, that horrible thing happened in the past" so get over it? Like six months? Like, if I'm a little kid and my family is murdered by a brutal dictator on Tuesday, by Sunday, will hondo be all:

Good lord, man. You're still crying about that nonsense? That happened so long ago. Why don't you have a job yet?

Draft saved Draft deleted